MCU 'mcu' shutdown: Stepper too far in past issue

Hi,

I have used klipper for a long time but since upgrading my extruder en switching to ideamaker I get weird issues at the start of my print: MCU ‘mcu’ shutdown: Stepper too far in past

I read in the github issues that it might be related to to many steps per seconds, but I can’t spot where this might be happening. It happens mostly when i just starter klipper. When print the same file an hour or so later, it does start printing without issues. Very strange.

klippy.log (1.5 MB)

20mm_Calibration_Box_petg100.gcode.log (31.0 KB)

I added my log file and gcode file. My extruder has the following settings:

[extruder]
step_pin: PE14
dir_pin: !PA0
enable_pin: !PC3
microsteps: 16
rotation_distance: 4.6722
nozzle_diameter: 0.400
filament_diameter: 1.750
heater_pin: PB1 # Heat0
sensor_pin: PF4 # T1 Header
sensor_type: NTC 100K beta 3950
min_temp: 10
max_temp: 265
pressure_advance: 0.1
max_extrude_cross_section:50
min_extrude_temp: 180
max_extrude_only_distance: 100

Does anyone had the same issues and have a possible fix?

Thanks.

The max_extrude_cross_section setting disables checks that prevent failures like you’ve reported. I’d recommend removing that setting from your config and fix any problems that it reports.

-Kevin

Hi,

I tried what you said and I couldn’t reproduce it for a while. But now I got the following message: Move exceeds maximum extrusion (1.252mm^2 vs 0.640mm^2)

This is my log:
klippy (10).log (386.2 KB)

And the file I tried to print:
2020_mount.gcode.log (1.8 MB)

It happend right after the purge line when it started the skirt.

Do you see an issue with these files?

Thank you.

A “move exceed maximum extrusion” error occurs when there is a request for an absurd amount of plastic to be extruded over a small area. For example, if you had a layer height of 0.200mm then an extrusion request for 1.252mm^2 would be a request for a line width over over 5mm.

Typical sources of the error are extremely wide purge lines in custom gcode start scripts, or improper tracking of g-code G90/G91/M82/M83 commands. Alas, you’ll need to track that down (if unsure, try reverting to a simplified start_print macro - for example see: https://www.klipper3d.org/Slicers.html#klipper-gcode_macro.

-Kevin

1 Like