More info from questioners

Basic Information:

Printer Model:
MCU / Printerboard:
klippy.log

I would like to ask the community.

I’m a beginner and read a lot here. I would like to have more info from the questioners about their setup.

Do you think it would be helpful to ask for more log files? I’m missing moonraker.log to see software version, etc.

Maybe there are other helpful files!

Thanks, hcet14

As you can see, this subforum already asks for vital information to support the questioners.
Sadly a lot of them do not share the required infos.
Asking for more logs would not help.

I think asking for the frontend logs (Moonraker, Fluid etc) would be interesting for that (Frontends) subforum.

When I notice that someone runs Klipper on OctoPrint, I ask for the octoprint.log. Sometimes an issue can be found in one of the plugins there.

1 Like

Yes, too bad…

I don’t think so. In my eyes it might be helpful in every forum, subforum here.

1 Like

I would agree if that log would support a bit more information:

AFAIK, there is no info whether it runs on a Pi or not. And if yes, what is the throttle state: Is there undervoltage or overheating? Or are there clues whether the user does power cycling the Pi for restarting.
As said: AFAIK

1 Like

I think what is basically asked is pretty optimal.

A bigger problem is to get people to properly describe their printer in terms of modifications to their printers including cabling.

2 Likes

I’m happy to get a klippy.log. In my experience it is enough in >95% of all cases. If we need to dig deeper and either request moonraker logs or dmesg output, so be it. Usually not needed.

As @EddyMI3D rightfully pointed out: We can consider ourselves lucky when the requester

1. Reads what is asked for
  2. Consults the available information before asking
  3. Is able to follow the advice given
2 Likes
  1. Spends more then 60 seconds to think of how he/she/it can solve the problem her-/his-/itself. Some problems are nasty will not be served on a silver tablet.

I don’t think this is a fair comment as I it seems to me that most people asking the question have probably spent quite a bit of time (certainly more than 60 seconds) trying to resolve the problem themselves.

While Klipper makes setting up and operating a 3D printer easier than traditional methods and is extremely well documented, 3D printing is a very complex subject with a lot to learn and know going forward. Along with that, Klipper breaks some paradigms for 3D printing which makes it somewhat confusing for people to understand exactly how to go forward - I remember the first time I looked at a klippy.log and my first thought was WTF (and now I can use it reasonably well to figure out issues on my own). It doesn’t help that there is a ton of outdated information out there and and some truly awful products available running bastardized versions of Klipper (I’m talking about the Creality Sonic Pad as the product has way too much market share for something that has the problems it does and essentially non-existent manufacturer support).

Note that I hedged my comment above by saying “most” people are asking the question from a good place. Yes, there seem to be a certain number of people (10%?) who are looking for people here to do the work for them but I think the vast majority of questions are by people who have genuinely tried to figure out things on their own and haven’t been able to find the answer.

I think all of us need to be patient when a question comes in, make sure they provide the requested information, and understand that English might not be their first language (and are using Google Translate) when things don’t seem to get communicated.

EDIT

Apologies. I incorrectly edited @Berggipfel 's post to indicate that the 4th point was made @Sineos

3 Likes

@mykepredko I agree with you. You may edit your post. The way you quoted, it looks like Sineos stated the comment. Berggipfel made the comment.

3 Likes

Thanx for the catch.

2 Likes

Well, sometimes it feels kind of surreal.

Supporter: Take the blue pill
Requester: I took the red one. Still not working. Why?

S: Please post your klippy.log
R: Don’t think its needed. Contains only cryptic rubbish that nobody understands. Thought I don’t bother you with it

S: Your stepper is incorrectly configured. Do abc.
R: I change my USB cable and still wrong
S: Your stepper …
R: Every time Klipper crashes, my display gets dark
S: Your stepper …
R: Oh, I just configured my stepper. I found out that I need abc. You could have told me from the beginning. Thanks anyway.

R: My Ender 3 is not working. Just started with 3D printing
S: Post your klippy.log
<40 posts later and still no Ender>
R: Ender 3 is rubbish. Going to build a Voron 2.4

3 Likes

I follow Sineos quite a while and I remember some (a lot) of posting, where he just send a link to the Klipper doku wher the answer is completely described. These are the cases, that i refer to.

I think, a lot of people have also “read what is asked for, consults,…” so maybe you should also blame Sineos…

If it makes you feel better: Bad boy, Sineos. Go to your room, no more support requests for the next week for you!

1 Like

I would never blame @Sineos

While the Klipper documentation is excellent, there is a lot of it and it can be difficult to find what you’re looking for and often you need to link to other pages for complete information. I just replaced the BL Touch on my custom CoreXY with an Omron inductive sensor and spent more time than I would have liked figuring out why QUAD_GANTRY_LEVEL wouldn’t work with it - it was made more frustrating because my Voron 2.4 uses it and everything works fine there (the problem was in my [probe] statement, I didn’t want to specify retries and I didn’t quite clear the parameters out correctly).

Adding to the confusion, chances are somebody has asked a similar question and you get directed to Reddit, Discord, TeamFDM and the Voron forums, all which have varying levels of accuracy in their answers to the questions along with a lot of apparently contradictory information.

Finally, don’t forget that no two printer systems are alike. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen “I have a stock Ender 3 that I can’t get Klipper running on” only to find out that the controller isn’t stock (and the person asking the question doesn’t know what board it is) and maybe modified to use TMC2209s, their USB cables came with their first MP3 player and the system they’re running Klipper on is an old laptop their kid put Ubuntu on.

Supporting 3D printers is like an episode of “House”, the person with the problem is anxious to get fixed, but doesn’t have the expertise to explain what’s going on (and maybe reluctant to say something out of embarrassment) and the people supporting them see the answer in the initial communication but don’t necessarily have the skills to elicit the important information (I know I can do better here).

No, Sorry, that should be ironic!