No serial found

Hi, Im sorry for bothering I tryed to follow everything you posted in step by step topic. I did have bugged debian, I used automatic update/upgrade. Now I have different one but I still don’t have /serial. I have no idea about linux I’m lost like a kid in the fog.

What I did:

1. install fresh Mainsail system through RPi manager
  2. logged to SSH by putty
  3. run:
    “sudo apt -y update && sudo apt -y upgrade
    apt-cache policy udev”
    and I received report with bugged debian
  4. I did run automatic solution:
    “curl -sf -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Sineos/useful_bits/main/Linux/fix_debian_udev.sh | sudo bash”
  5. run again:
    “sudo apt -y update && sudo apt -y upgrade
    apt-cache policy udev”
    and I received report with updated/upgraded debian
  6. I did run board config by “mae menuconfig”
    But still I dont have the serial. I don’t know is it a file or folder.

A few questions first:

1. What is your system? Printer type, main controller board, Raspberry Pi type.
  2. Did you have things running before you tried this upgrade?

I’m presuming that step six is “make menuconfig” but what did you do after that?

You should have done something like:
a) Running make clean followed by make. I always do a make clean before make to ensure there’s nothing from previous builds that could be a problem.
b) Burning the Klipper firmware into your main controller board. There are a number of ways of doing this that are dependent on the type of main controller board that you have.
c) Connecting the main controller board to your Raspberry Pi.
d) Looking for the connection using ls /dev/serial/by-id/
e) Using the results of the previous step to burn in the flash using something like sudo python3 ~/Katapult/scripts/flashtool.py -d /dev/serial/by-id/[valueReturnedInPreviousStep] -f ~/klipper/out/klipper.bin

Moved to a new topic.
@JimB0 most likely the flashing procedure did not work or you chose the wrong parameters during make menuconfig.
I’d try to reflash the board and closely follow the information given on top of the respective config file.
You also might try to follow Installing Klipper with KIAUH

My system is SKR 1.2 board and RPi 4. There were klipper before on SKR board. I haven’t use it for a year now. I flashed it with new build, it changed name from frimware.bin to firmware.CUR.

I dont know if I understand corectly. The serial is created after connection of RPi with controller board. Yes? Maby usb cable is faulty. I’ll chek it. If it’s ok, I’ll go with KIAUH. Thank you for your help.

As soon as the Linux Operating System has successfully connected a new USB device, typically 3 representation of this device are created:

• One in /dev cal ttyACM0 or ttyACM1 etc
  • One in /dev/serial/by-id
  • One in /dev/serial/by-path
    All are the same and point to the same USB device. The second is generally recommended as it stays stable.
    Also check with the dmesg command to see what is actually happening on OS level

Thank you both @mykepredko @Sineos for help. I couldn’t connect mainboard to RPi and it’s a hardware problem. RPi connects to other boards but not this one. I connected old SKR 1.2 with burnt mosfets and stepsticks, and it works.

Best regards
Filip

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.