Possible future release numbering

That makes absolutely no sense. If you go from v0.12.0, a v1 should not be 13.

It’s either v0.13 or v1.0 or v1.1

3 Likes

Agreed, this is a nice read: https://semver.org/

@johboh @cgbab

I guess it’s just a typo.

Probably koconnor wanted to write: "The release after this one I will look to tag as “v0.13.0”.

If it’s not, I am worried that people like this are maintaining Klipper.

@cgbab
Surely I must have missed it, but so far I did not see your name contributing to anything Klipper related. Please be so kind to point me to your contributions to Klipper or the OSS community in general that qualifies you to come across with such statements

1 Like

I may not be contributing, but I do know how a basic numbering system works. It scares me that someone is working on something that so many people depend on that does not.

Obviously you see the version numbering as way more important than the software and effort behind it.

BTW:

2 Likes

Over the years/decades I’ve been involved with software development, I can think of quite a few cases where version label changes do not make sense or are confusing to users that are not part of the software development process - along with this marketing people often get involved and you get a mess like Windows:

Note that I used the term “label” to describe the version rather than “number” - this was to point out that the version information is basically arbitrary no matter where you go. Somebody had to first decide how to track software and set out some kind of rule for updating the version label, which is probably different from what others would come up with in a similar situation.

Regardless, if the jump in the version so shakes your confidence in Klipper that you are making this big a deal of it, I suggest you don’t use Klipper.

3 Likes

All I said was going from 0.12 to 1.13 made no sense. Everyone else was making a big deal out of it.

And I was a software developer for over 40 years, and I am retired now.

1 Like

No one made a big deal out of feedback on Klipper’s versioning scheme. The concern trolling was unnecessary, we prefer to keep the discussion civil.

On the topic of versioning, I have seen schemes similar to that proposed by Kevin, where the major number indicates significant change, the minor number is the overall release, and the patch is reserved for hotfixes. Thus v1.13.0 would represent the first “official” stable release and the 13th release of Klipper.

While I personally prefer something similar to the Semantic Versioning standard, I don’t think the above is that confusing. If necessary we could document how Klipper versioning works.

5 Likes

It’s great to see support for IDEX mirror and duplicate modes. Thank you!

2 Likes

@cgbab sounds like you should switch to marlin.

@bigExtruder

I think, the discussion is done, ok?

2 Likes

Indeed, this thread should get back to Kevin telling us about the upcoming release. Having said that, I am surprised that nobody took cgbab to task for saying

It’s either v0.13 or v1.0 or v1.1

This makes no sense at all: The word either requires only two options, not three. To paraphrase:

… I am worried that people like this are criticizing Klipper.

@leadinglights :

You agree, but why do you still put oil to the fire?

I think this one is to be closed.

1 Like