Print head pausing at the end of every layer

I ran a simulation. Zooming at a layer change:

Top plot shows the toolhead velocity in purple (all directions) and in the z direction (blue). Bottom plot shows the extruder velocity.

I see no dwell time between the last extrusion of the layer and the retraction. Layer change goes with z-hop up, move XY, move Z up, then Z hop down. Then, it underacts immediately before the first extrusion of the next layer.

I haven’t looked at every layer changes, but they seem similar. Is the blobbing happening before retraction at each every layer change?

I don’t know much about the specifics of your printer, but your retraction settings seem a bit wild. Maybe they are normal for a long bowden, I don’t know. All I can see is that the retraction could be taking more time than expected since the extruder have to accelerate a lot to reach that velocity of 70mm/s.

I could be wrong, but I’m starting to suspect that the pausing is caused by the long retraction by itself. So rather than cranking the speed and accel up, I’d suggest to start fresh with no retraction at all, only PA and slowly increase the retraction (eg. on a retraction tower test). If I’m right, with a retraction length equal to zero, there should be no dwell time during layer change.

To be certain that this is not caused by retraction, you could try to uncheck “Retract at layer change” and Z-hop in the Travels panels of Cura and reprint your star pattern. If it helps, then maybe try increasing max_extrude_only_accel even more. But be aware that increasing it too much could cause the extruder stepper to skip and exacerbate the issue.

1 Like