Prunt? (title must be at least 10 characters)

Basic Information:

Printer Model: not important to this topic
MCU / Printerboard: not important to this topic
Host / SBC: not important to this topic
klippy.log: none

This topic/question is not really Klipper related, just out of curiosity.

I stumbled over an open source 3D printer firmware which seems to be quite new.
Has someone tried Prunt https://prunt3d.com/?
It seems to have some features regarding motion control which might be interesting for Klipper Features – Prunt Motion Controller.
The two supported printer boards are similar to standard STM32 boards. The schematics are available Hardware – Prunt Motion Controller, I found a price for Prunt Board 3 Prunt Board 3 | Crowd Supply. Not really budget, so I guess nobody tried Prunt.

The prunt 3 boards haven’t shipped yet. Just got delayed to December. So, I don’t think anyone has been able to use them yet.

The concept seems valid. Way too soon to tell if this will ever amount to anything.

Note the following:

  • 1 contributor to the project
  • 30 open issues all authored by the above. 32 closed, only 2 opened by users.
  • Won’t run on any boards except theirs. Yes schematics are open ATM but no manufacturer is going to build a board until the user base is viable.
  • Doing the math ($8300/$190) they’ve sold 45-50 of the current board.
  • No mention of syncing multiple MCUs. 6 motor channels doesn’t support QGL.

I wish them all the luck, but I’ll pass at the moment. One guy doing the hardware AND software development puts too many eggs in one basket.