Raspberry 5" Touchscreen and Klipper setup

Hi all,

I’ve been using Klipper for several weeks now and whilst I have still a lot to learn about it and a few noob errors to sort out on my config, I’m really loving the learning experience. :slight_smile:

I have a question you guys can most probably help me figure out, I’m currently running an BTT TFT35 E3 V3 screen and I have a 5" Pi Touchscreen, and I’m thinking about ditching the BTT screen and just use the PI Touchscreen directly plugged onto the Pi.

Question is how I go about getting this setup? Do I just need to install KlipperScreen and configure it or are other steps involved in order to get this to work?

Also, I’m currently powering my PI 3 directly from the SKR 1.4 screen in my printer, If someone has already done this, can you tell me if you can power the screen directly form the Pi or external power is required for the screen?

Thanks

Al

hi,

i installed everthing with kiauh GitHub - th33xitus/kiauh: Klipper Installation And Update Helper.
im using a pi 7 touchscreen with klipperscreen and everything just works fine.

i dont know wich version of raspberry pi u are currently using. but i used the desktop debian version because i wanted to use VNC with it etc…
installing klipperscreen on a desktop debian version has some quirkes but not to difficult.
first i installed klipper moonraker fluid klipperscreen etc with kiauh… easy peasy
in my case it installed klipperscreen just fine but for some reason it wont start on debian desktop, it think its fighting with the desktop gui on who gets to use the touchscreen.

if ur not seeing klipperscreen startup after installing:
1.sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-legacy (somehow its missing this)
2. sudo raspi-config >> 1 System Options >> S5 Boot / Auto Login >> B1 Console. doing this your touchscreen (or any other screen attached to the pi) is starting up in console and not in desktop.

optional:
if your screen doesnt still start up try using journalctl -xe -u KlipperScreen to see whats wrong.
if the log ends in something like this:

Oct 26 10:55:17 raspberrypi systemd[1]: KlipperScreen.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 26 10:55:17 raspberrypi systemd[1]: KlipperScreen.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 26 10:55:18 raspberrypi systemd[1]: KlipperScreen.service: Service RestartSec=1s expired, scheduling restart.
Oct 26 10:55:18 raspberrypi systemd[1]: KlipperScreen.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 14.
Oct 26 10:55:18 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped KlipperScreen.
Oct 26 10:55:18 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started KlipperScreen.
Oct 26 10:55:18 raspberrypi xinit[768]: (EE)
Oct 26 10:55:18 raspberrypi xinit[768]: Fatal server error:
Oct 26 10:55:18 raspberrypi xinit[768]: (EE) Server is already active for display 0
Oct 26 10:55:18 raspberrypi xinit[768]: #011If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock

it means that its missing permissions. use this command to give it permissions: sudo gpasswd -a pi tty
if klipperscreen still doesnt want to startup on the touchscreen use journalctl -xe -u KlipperScreen to see whats wrong.
if there is standing something like this in the log:
Oct 26 15:24:55 raspberrypi xinit[1466]: (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 2 (Permission denied)
u need to modify the file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config with:
needs_root_rights=yes
allowed_users=anybody

after saving klipperscreen should startup right away.

for my setup im powering my raspberry pi directly from my spiderboard wich has a 8 amp 5 volt output for this. the pi powers the touchscreen via usb. i would say just try it. if the raspberry pi doesnt have inough juice to startup normally there would be a line in on the screen stating undervolting and the raspberry pi would hang or boot loop.

hope this helps a bit

links i got my information from:

1 Like