Resume print after filament runout

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Tronxy X5SA pro
MCU / Printerboard: Stock - CXY-V6-191017

… First time poster here, flashed klipper a few weeks ago, and so far, I’m liking it. I should have done it sooner.

the other day I ran into a problem, filament runout sensor paused the print, moved the head off to the corner, and waited for me to load more filament, unfortunately, I wasn’t there to do it. By the time I was able to reload the filament; it refused to warm up the hot-end unless I rehomed all the axis first. This would have caused the head to crash into the print. How do i disable/change this so it doesn’t require me to rehome the axis before re-heating everything?

Thanks guys.

Hello @sunbound !

grafik

How do you know, that the klippy.log is not needed?
Deleting that lines makes no sense, because supporters know what the text is.

Please attach it to your next post.

1 Like

I couldn’t even tell you what day it was, but if you believe it will help, I
klippy.zip (327.7 KB)
have attached it.

It sounds like your print was paused longer than the idle_timeout value, which resulted in the printer going into standby and turning off the stepper motors. The stepper motors lose their position when powered off like this and therefore need to be homed again. You don’t have to home anything just to control the heaters, so I assume you were trying to execute a macro or series of commands to both move the toolhead and heat up the heaters.

You can increase the idle_timeout to give you more time to load new filament. It’s also possible to effectively disable the idle_timeout by using delayed gcode to continually reset it, but that poses safety risks. You could also modify the idle_timeout gcode to only disable the heaters but not the steppers. This would mitigate some of the safety risks associated with allowing the heaters to remain at temp indefinitely, but you would need to make sure your motors are powered down when you don’t intend to use them, or else you could see significant increases in power consumption if your printer leaves the steppers powered indefinitely.

Thank you. I don’t think it tried to do anything but get the heaters going again, both my using the pre-heat button at the top, and when that failed, just putting in the numbers for both the hot-and and the bed. Its possible I’m miss-remembering this, but I don’t think that’s the case. I’ll have to retest this and report back.

I’ll look into modifying the code to leave the steppers enabled, while allowing the heaters to turn off. My assumption being that when the print actually finishes, that it will cut the steppers like normal.

Thanks for your help; its appreciated.

This is why I said you would need to make sure your motors are powered down when not in use, because if you override the idle_timeout to not cut the motors, they will not be powered down unless you explicitly issue a SET_STEPPER_ENABLE STEPPER=<config_name> ENABLE=0, M18, or M84 command, or shut down the printer. You will need to confirm (not assume) that one of these commands is included in the ending gcode sequence injected by your slicer (typically the case) or in a Klipper macro that is called as part of the ending gcode sequence.

You’ll also need to remember that if you ever manually home the printer or manually command the extruder, you will have to be sure to manually issue M84 when you’re finished.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.