Stepper motors overheating

Basic Information:

Printer Model: ender 3 pro
MCU / Printerboard: Manta m4p
klippy.log (138.4 KB)

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file (use zip to compress it, if too big). Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed
Be sure to check our “Knowledge Base” Category first. Most relevant items, e.g. error messages, are covered there

Describe your issue:

Hi guys. I have problem since I put a manta m4p on my Ender 3 pro. The x and y steppers are getting really hot when idle. Z stepper doesn’t.
I used the stock Ender wires to put on the manta.
When I start my machine and let it idle without any move, all 3 motors stay cold.
But after a simple homing, if I let the printer idle after, x and y steppers are making a high pitch noise and their temperature keep raising till you can’t touch them.
I don’t understand because z stepper temp stays quite low…
Do you guys have any idea? Is it a wiring issue, knowing that the 3 steppers have the same wire pattern?

1 Like

How long are you here @hitman47? How many topics you have seen been answered without the bloody klippy.log? Come on, it can’t be that difficult.

3 Likes

Sorry about that, as it seems more of a mechanical issue, I didn’t thought there could be infos about that in the klippy.log. file.
klippy.log (138.4 KB)

1 Like

Ender 3 vrefs are known to come wack from the factory. Adjust your vrefs.

The Z motor often has a slightly lower vref from the factory, which is why it isnt heating up.

1 Like

BTT Manta M4P with klipper.thanks anyway…

I’m not familiar with the Ender 3 Pro and the parts used within it but when I look at the klippy.log, I don’t see anything that unusual. The X/Y/Z steppers are all set to what I would think is a conservative 0.6A:

[tmc2209 stepper_x]
uart_pin = PB12
run_current = 0.600
stealthchop_threshold = 999999

The first thing I would suggest you try is to reduce the current to 0.4A and see if that resolves your issue.

How thick (what is the depth) of these steppers? That determines their size and the amount of current they can handle.

1 Like

The OP is setting the current by software.

Sorry, i didnt notice this

If you can stand a possibly louder printer you can use SpreadCycle instead of StealthChop.
This should keep the motors cooler with the same current.
Exchange

stealthchop_threshold = 999999

with

stealthchop_threshold = 0

in the respective stepper sections.

And i think you can delete the following in the Z stepper section:

gear_ratio = 16:1
1 Like

Thank you. These are creality motors 42-34, 1.8v peak 0.8A max. I don’t understand because the wiring is the same on all 3 motors, and only x and y are buzzing and overheating, not Z!

I had to modify the wiring of the endstops, which were 5v and signal to the recommended ground and signal.

Do you think the endstops could not tell the motor to stop properly?

1 Like

Depends. If @hitman47 calibrated his e-steps with the gear ratio then he cannot

More generally:

• It is recommended not to use hold_current → Not used by @hitman47 == good
  • Not using hold_current means that as soon as the steppers are powered, they are powered with full run_current
  • Nothing obviously wrong with the settings. On the contrary, a run_current of 0.6 seems quite conservative
  • According to my experience, how steppers are behaving strongly depends on the quality of the steppers. I had some that would exhibit this aggravating high-pitched hum as soon as powered and also got very hot. Never experienced the same with Moons or LDO steppers.
2 Likes

Thank you a lot for the informations.
I tried with no stealthchop and the result is the same,
Motors are overheating when idle too.
Hold_current was the solution to keep them cold but it’s written to avoid it on klipper website so I’d better not use that.

I know the coils of these motors are pins 1-4 and 3-6 but I can’t find if they are wired correctly according to the btt pinout schematics.

But stepper z is wired the same way and it’s not overheating.

This is ridiculously unbelievable.

1 Like

If the motors turn when commanded then its correct.
When turning in the wrong direction you can invert the respective dir pin.

Are all steppers exactly the same type?

Does it change if you up the microsteps to 64? I’d rather got to higher microstepping than to use Stealth Chop. Should be about the same noise-wise but you avoid the introduced error.

The z stepper is different, it’s a 42-40. Slightly bigger.
Do you think the litlle creality ones 42-34 are too small for 2209 drivers maybe?
Thanks, will try the micro stepping option and keep you updated.

No, but the stepper behavior very much depends on the type. So it might be possible that indeed your X/Y are stupid but not Z

2 Likes

I just noticed something in the “enable pin” description from klipper website.

In the stepper sections, all my “enable pins” from btt example config have a “!”. They are in enable low.

Default setting for klipper is high, with no “!”.

Do you know this parameter and how it can impact the steppers?

1 Like

Curious myself because I just changed my Anycubic to a SKR 3 board w/ 2209 drivers .
My Y and X are also getting very hot, but prior to change I was using the Anycubic board with 2208 drivers and after hours of printing they would be warm but not hot.
I wasn’t able to adjust the settings in Klipper due to the board but in Marln I could and it was set to .8 amp but reduced hold current which I am not using now.
If I turn off Stealthchop or reduce current the motors get very noisy regardless of microsteps. The sensorless homing seems to suck with lower current as well, unreliable and not as gentle.

My Y and X are the same steppers, the Z and E are different.
I have a spare stepper that is different (original Z stepper from Anycubic) I could try if I have a pulley gear that’s not press on somewhere. I just finished the board install so I haven’t had any time to look into further but hopefully it will be a similar fix, if it can be fixed.

1 Like

Internal wiring was different on the X & Y Stepper

Used a couple other steppers I have for reference.

Reference Pin # 1 3 4 6
Reference Wire Color X G B R
Reference Pairs 1,6 & 3,4

AC X & Y Motors
Connector Pin # 1 3 4 6
Common Wire Color G B X R
Tested Pairs 1,3 & 4,6

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.