Unable to connect after update 03-20-2024

Basic Information:

ender 3
skr mini e3 v3/klipper running on ubuntu desktop

klippy.zip (963.9 KB)

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file (use zip to compress it, if too big). Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed
Be sure to check our “Knowledge Base” Category first. Most relevant items, e.g. error messages, are covered there

Describe your issue:

i cant connect to klipper after recent update which was about an hour ago

Your log state that last time when klipper did see your printer was after midnight
and in that moment you did have version v0.12.0-127-g235b75be
at 00:12:00 - extruder did lover his temp to 83c, then log is interrupted, probably machine was switched off.

Next start was at 15:36:57 - with same version but klipper already didn’t see Serial connection.

All further attempts, including 2 updates also didn’t see USB Serial connection

So your issue is not related to update, it did happened before that. Check your USB connection to printer.

P.S. I also noticed that you did try to change serial device, but in the final your serial configurations have additional “0” character in serial port name if I compare it with midnight value. So your USB stop working, you did play with setting, then return incorrect value.

I had turned it on and it was working fine, noticed I had to reslice my print so I cancelled the running print .noticed that it said an update was available so I hit update and then re sliced my print. When the update completed it wouldn’t reconnect. Rebooted computer restarted Moonraker and klipper. Only thing I changed was the serial connection from USB to uart to see if it would connect by some chance then changed it back in my printer config. Only thing that I thought was strange is it had rocks in the update menu instead of klipper

Ok, i went thru your log again, and yes i did found that there was successful connection at daytime, line #6144 with same version.

But again there was few errors before successful connection, after that session was over I do see that there was upgrade.

Ok, at last successful connection I see your MCU did have this version of firmware: v0.12.0-116-g31de734d
You was updating MCU firmware also ?

if not - then we should not blame the update - because it didn’t touch anything related to connections.

If you was updating MCU also - then that process could go wrong and your MCU was not flashed properly and as a result you don’t see a connection.

1 Like

No klipper was the only thing being updated

You didn’t answer about MCU firmware update.

1 Like

it hasnt been updated since i installed klipper a few weeks ago,
does it need reflashed every time theres an update??

Right now - don’t touch MCU firmware, you should update it only after you will fix issue with USB connection, so klipper will see that serial port.

Most probably your USB connection stop working and in same time you did update klipper.

Klipper updates don’t have any impact on USB connection, serial port is visible in your machine or not, klipper “host” don’t have any influence on that.

You should check presence of serial port by executing shell command
ls /dev/serial/by-id/*
if it’s not there check USB devices present in the system by executing command lsusb -l

P.S. in that moment you printer should be turned-on.

I finally got it going unfortunately it was before I got your last message . I did notice the extra zero in the serial id that you mentioned and my best guess is that is what the issue was although I’m not sure how that extra zero had gotten entered in the first place since I had not had to do any changes to the config file recently.

What I ended up doing is I reflashed the printer board and it was after that I noticed your reply.

I greatly appreciate the time you took to help me in this.

Great, so you system back online, that was main intention.
Glad to help (one way or another)