Unable to Connect

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender 3 S1 Pro
MCU / Printerboard:
klippy(5).log (86.8 KB)

Describe your issue:

I’m trying to connect Ender 3 s1 pro to raspberry pi 4 Model B but I receiving error message mcu unable to connect. I think something to do with serial port… I have raspberry pi connected to power adapter and printer plugged in to usb port on pi from usb c on printer. It first says printer is not ready and then goes to the MCU unable to connect. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Veronica

Start here

https://www.klipper3d.org/Installation.html#configuring-klipper

1 Like

When I run the ls command, here is what I get

usb-1aB6_USB_Serial-if00-port0

I notice in the link you attached above it has

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB2.0-Serial-if00-port0

How do I know which one to use… the printer config file I have has the USB_Serial-if00-port0.

Also, the cord I’m using is an Iphone charging cable USB type a to USB type C, would this matter?

If so I have a USB-C hub with 4 USB 3.0 ports that I ordered from raspberry pi website

Thanks,
Veronica

The ls command will give you the one you will need but you will add /dev/serial/by-id/ in front.

1 Like

Okay, when I run the command I do have

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0

This is also what is showing in the printer.cfg file for Ender 3 S1 Pro…

I don’t think the firmware is getting flashed to the printer. I copy the klipper.bin file to a 1GB SD card and rename to firmware.bin. Insert into printer and turn on, wait a few minutes, remove the SD card and restart printer but nothing happens. I’m not understanding what I’d doing wrong. I’ve also tried connecting pi when restarting printer still nothing happens. Mainsail keeps saying, “Printer is not ready. The Klipper software is attempting to connect. Please retry in a few moments” then it goes to MCU: Unable to connect.

When I make menu config, is communication interface supposed to be serial or USB? I have it set to Serial.

Thanks,
Veronica

Closely follow the information given on top of klipper/printer-creality-ender3-s1-2021.cfg at master · Klipper3d/klipper · GitHub
Especially mind the differences of the various chips.

Repeat the flashing process and if it continuous to fail then

• Unplug the board
  • Replug the board
  • Run sudo dmesg
  • Post the output together with a klippy.log
1 Like

In your 2 klippy.log files I just find
usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0

Good luck, hcet14

I’m excited to say that my printer is up and running now and I wanted to thank everyone for all your help!!!

Veronica