Well, I tried hard, but no Klipper for me :(

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Kingroon KP3s
MCU / Printerboard: Kingroon (GD32F303)
klippy.log
klippy.log (12.6 KB)

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file. Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed

Describe your issue:

Many, many hours trying to get Klipper to work. I’m not inexperienced, I’ve worked with Arduinos and written code for them. I’m generally familiar with Pi’s, remote access, etc. So, I’m a leg up on your average 3D printer enthusiast who wants the newest, bestest thingy. I’ve learned a whole lot about Klipper, Mainsail, etc. It’s a slick platform and I love the Mainsail interface. I’m not new to 3D printing and I own other printers. I’ve become obsessed with the Kingroon KP3s because it’s such a cheap, capable and compact machine. It prints very well with the stock firmware (with well-tuned slicer settings). It’s smaller bed size (180 X 180) makes is a good candidate for a high speed bed-slinger because there’s less mass to throw around. When I had it working in Klipper, 220 mm/s produced very decent results without much tuning. But, alas, I never managed to get consistent results. I won’t go through the list of things I had to learn how to tweek – and people here with very helpful – but I finally threw in the towel when – after thinking I was really there – it started printing random offset layers on the Y axis. I tried to blame the printer (checked belt tension, stepper motor, etc.) but found no issues. Hunted and hunted for answers for this problem but found nothing that worked. Tried printing at 40 mm/s and still got the same issue. So I flashed back to stock firmware, printed the very same G code the Klipper made a mess of – only I cranked the speed up to 60 mm/s to challenge the stock configuration a bit and it printed (a calibration cube) flawlessly. In other words, the printer works just fine, thank you. I’m reasonably confident that this could work (KP3s with Klipper). The Robin Nano board is a decent bit of kit and the GD32F303 chip is no slouch. I was using a Pi4B, again plenty there to work with. I just can’t give any more time to it right now. Hopefully the installation/tweaking process will become a little easier over time. I know that if I have to look at a printer.cfg file again anytime soon I may just faint :frowning:

Sorry to hear. Your cfg seems sound except the virtual sd card setting is off:

virtual_sdcard file open
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/extras/virtual_sdcard.py", line 178, in _load_file
    fname = files_by_lower[fname.lower()]
KeyError: 'test.gcode'
Unable to open file
virtual_sdcard file open
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/klipper/klippy/extras/virtual_sdcard.py", line 178, in _load_file
    fname = files_by_lower[fname.lower()]
KeyError: 'ring.gcode'
Unable to open file
[virtual_sdcard]
path = ~/home/pi/printer_data/gcodes

In Linux the ~ gets expanded to the current user’s home folder. So the path you provided actually is:
/home/pi/home/pi/printer_data/gcodes. Either remove the ~ or specify path = ~/printer_data/gcodes

1 Like

I’m sorry that we weren’t able to help you get the problems sorted. My very first experience with klipper was the complete opposite. I was setting it up on an Ender 3 V2, and starting from scratch, I had the printer fully set up in around 2 hours, I just couldn’t believe how easy it was. I’m not trying to invalidate your experience, just making an observation that it was very different. If you ever change your mind, and decide to give it another go, please feel free to contact me directly, and I would be happy to try and help you get it all going. There are plenty of people here that know a whole lot more about klipper than me though, so posting on the forums is also a good choice.

EDIT: I just did a quick search on google, and it turns out Kingroon have a guide to getting it working with klipper on their website. I’m not sure if you saw that or not, but it seems pretty comprehnsive:

https://kingroon.com/blogs/3d-print-101/how-to-prepare-klipper-firmware-for-kingroon-kp3s-using-fluiddpi

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement! Yes, I tried the Kingroon guide and it didn’t work for me. However I really hate giving up, so I’ve given it another try! I started with the Mainsail site and used their guide, and with all that I’ve learned up to now – with some considerable tweaking – I’ve got it working – with one last problem at the very end of the print, but I’ll make a new post for that :slight_smile: At any rate it’s now usable, with the exception that it runs off to the back corner of the bed at the end of the print and generates and out of range error instead of homing, but that’s got to be solvable.

My KP3S runs fine although I now have some resonances with the new print head that the input shaper seems to have trouble with.
What was the solution for your issue now?

I think the print end macro sends your bed too far away. Maybe the position configs for Y are off a bit?

Thanks! I’m actually testing that right now. Got into Cura and found odd settings in end of print code. Edited that and running a print now. I’ll report back.

1 Like

Yes indeed. The “end print” section applied by Cura was off – by a lot. I edited and the printer now cleanly ends the print and homes properly.

2 Likes

Me too, I had struggled with my Ender 3 (2018 version) with Klipper for almost 3 weeks and finally I gave up and went back to Marlin.
It’s too much technical for me and help is very difficult to find.
Lets hope like you said in the future configuration would become a bit more easier for beginner like myself.
I strongly believe this is super piece of firmware.