X axis moves when Y moves

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Modded Voxelab Aries
MCU / Printerboard: Bigtreetech SKR Mini 3 V3 with 2209 drivers
klippy(1).log (671.5 KB)

Im trying to convert a proprietary printer into a open source one. I’ve made it through most of the checks minus the extruder motor not coming on but I’ll leave that for another thread. My current issue is the X axis moving when I tell Y to move using mainsail dashboard. This is a H frame system so I’m not sure why I am having this issue. The X,Y,and Z will home, The X axis sounds rough when homing almost like the motor is stuttering but I do not feel it binding when I move it manually. I have tried changing the motor current settings from the default 0.548 up to 1 amp with no change. I’ve reseated the connections on the mainboard but no change. The stepper motor specs can’t be read but not sure that matters with this issue. It X axis moves about 10mm when moving Y 10mm.

Welcome to Klipper Discourse

I believe this is a cartesian printer. Your Klippy log shows you have set it up with coreXY .
You need
kinematics: cartesian
in place of
kinematics: coreXY
in your printer.cfg

For an example config you could try comparing yours against this other Voxelab configuration
I know the Aquila looks vastly different but the IMPORTANT difference is explained nicely this video

Let us know how you get on.

IF (and only if) this printer is really a H-bot kinematic then corexy is correct.

The difference between coreXY and H-bot should only be the direction of rotation and probably the information from Initial Startup | Voron Documentation does at least apply from a logical point of view.

Jassman,
Thankyou! I had no idea that this style of printer was considered a Cartesian. I will change that tonight and cross my fingers.

Sineos,
Thank You for all your detailed comments. You got me to where I am currently.
Just curious why not add your instructions for using Mainsail/Fluidd to the install docs portion? I believe at this point it is the more common way of installing and using Klipper.

That fixed my issue now the print head is moving like it should.

This printer has somewhat of a odd bed leveling procedure and I’m not sure how to duplicate it with Klipper. The back center position was adjusted within the Aries firmware using microsteps, then the front 2 positions have bed screws. How would I adjust that back position with klipper?

1. Use the back screw’s position to define your z-offset as per Bed leveling - Klipper documentation
  2. Use either [bed_screws] or [screws_tilt_adjust]
    • Keep the screw in the back constant as reference position
    • Use either one of these tools to adjust the front two.

I set the bed_screw positions in the config then ran the bed screw adjust script. It drives the print head to position 1 then drops the bed to the bottom and asks if it is adjusted. How do I tell the script that it is my bed that moves and not the print head. Also what should I set my Z Max to so that the script doesn’t drive the bed through the nozzle?

Since my cartesian printer has the Z axis on the bed and not the print head, do I need to change the direction of the Z motor to match what Mainsail considers to be up or down or do I need to have that reversed? All the documentation talks about printing at a Z step of zero where currently for mine to print I would need to be at a Z of 220. Using the Bed_screw_Adjust script, it expects the print position to be at 0 as well to adjust the bed screws.

Uhm.

Cartesian printers have the Y axis on the bed.

I use to believe the same thing but see my corrected thinking towards the top of this thread

It does not matter if your print-head moves up and down or your bed.
It is important that your Z=0 is directly over the bed and then the printer moves into the right direction. For Klipper this is always in positive Z direction and the only relevant settings are in the printer.cfg

If the controls in Mainsail are inverted, then you can change this in the Mainsail settings, but this has NO effect on the Klipper logic. It will only reverse the controls in the UI. See Control - Mainsail

Thank You Sineos, that helped me get it printing.

To those with a inverted cartesian like mine, you will need to reverse the Z direction pin using the exclamation mark. Also the Z endstop distance needs to be the distance between the nozzle and the bed (in my case it was 220.9) the max Z distance also needs to be the same distance as the z endstop. Now when I home the bed drops about 20 mm before the print head moves instead of going up and printing works.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.