X1 not printing due to extruder error (TMC 'extruder' reports error: DRV_STATUS: 001f5000 s2vsa=1 stealth=1 csactual=31)

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Artillery Sidewinder X1
MCU / Printerboard: SKR 1.4 Turbo with TMC 5160
klippy.log
klippy.log (2.6 MB)

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file. Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed

Describe your issue:

Hi all,

After several weeks without using this printer I finally manage to give it a try with some new filament I got for Christmas, but the joy was short as once the printer heated up and was about to print, it stop and displayed the following error message: TMC ‘extruder’ reports error: DRV_STATUS: 001f5000 s2vsa=1 stealth=1 csactual=31.

Please note that the printer was printing fine the last time I used it, here’s the extruder setup in the printer.cfg file just in case it’s needed but as said, it was printing fine before and I didn’t changed any value since:

[tmc5160 extruder]
cs_pin: P1.4
spi_software_miso_pin: P0.5
spi_software_mosi_pin: P1.17
spi_software_sclk_pin: P0.4
run_current: 0.800
hold_current: 0.500
stealthchop_threshold: 999999
diag1_pin: P1.26

Is this a configuration issue? I’ve seen other with similar issues having to play with the stealthchop value.

Any idea of what’s causing this, is my driver good for the bin?

Thanks

Hi and Happy New Year to everyone.

I’ve tried lowering and removing stealthchop_threshold all together but the issue is still the same, any idea of what I’m doing wrong here?

Thanks

TMC 'extruder' reports GSTAT:      00000002 drv_err=1(ErrorShutdown!)
TMC 'extruder' reports GSTAT:      00000000
TMC 'extruder' reports DRV_STATUS: 001f5000 s2vsa=1 stealth=1 csactual=31

The TMC driver is reporting an unrecoverable hardware error. Could be the driver itself, the stepper or the cable. My guess would be a dead driver. TMC5160 have quite a history of dying

This has nothing to do with any of your settings / configuration. It is an internal error in the TMC driver itself.

Some more general remarks:

• 5160s are high current driver that want to operate under high current. Connecting weak steppers ( run_current: 0.800) will force the stepper into an unfavorable working point (but does not cause hardware defects)
  • diag1_pin is only needed for sensorless homing and you likely do not home your extruder sensorless
  • hold_current is no longer recommended since it might have an impact on accuracy

Hi @Sineos ,

Thanks for your answer, this is clear now.

Can you pleas advise what would be a good working run_current value to use for the 5160s?

You’re right, I do not run sensorless homing so will remove the setting and will do the same for the hold_current.

Thanks

Well, its the other way round: Your run_current is dictated by your stepper motors. This is like buying one tiny LED and attaching it to a 400W power supply. You cannot make this tiny LED consume the 400W (well, maybe very very short but then the magical smoke will escape and the LED will go dark)

Also see: Hold_current and run_current -- TMC2209 - #5 by Sineos

Thanks again, will check what the X1 steppers are rated for and take it from there.

Hi,

Just wanted to report back on this, I received the new drivers yesterday and installed them today, printer is now working and printing very nicely; I still need to check what would be correct values for run_current on the Artillery stepper in order to change the actual 0.800 value. @Sineos thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

1 Like