Z_OFFSET_APPLY_PROBE proper sequence

I have been messing with Klipper for a couple of months now, moving over from Marlin.

I have a question about fine tuning the z-offset with Z_OFFSET_APPLY_PROBE. In Mainsail I can babystep the z height with gcode offset, then it will save it to the probe z offset with Z_OFFSET_APPLY_PROBE.

Would this change require bed mesh calibrate to run again? Is there a way to adjust the probe’s z offset without having to rerun the bed mesh?

Changes to z_offset doesn’t require a new bed mesh.

Z_offset is the distance between tip of the nozzle and the probe on z axe.
Mesh is a “map” of your bed flatness in order to compensate the bumps.

In same cases you will modify your z_offest (ex. some materials must be more squished then other) and keep the same mesh (because your build plate doesn’t change) or you could change your mesh (ex you change between glass and PEI) and keep the same z_offset (because you use the same material).

z_offset and mesh are independent.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand what the z offset is, and how the bed mesh works. My question is in regards to the bed mesh having different results when I set a new z offset.

Lets say everything is working fine… but I change out the nozzle… then I have to readjust my z offset. When I do that, the bed mesh matrix will show different numbers. If the z offset is 2mm, then the bed mesh might show 2mm heights. If I set my z offset to 1mm, then the bed mesh will show 1mm heights.

Just wondering why the bed mesh changes when I adjust my z offset, and how it is related.

Doesn’t meter if your mesh is up or down. As long as you have the correct z offeset, the probe will know where is your bed and your mesh will compensate the bumps.

Let’s say you have a nozzle and do a mesh and save it. The mesh is relativ to the probe. When you start a print the printer will calculate the nozzle position relative to the bed based on offests and mesh.

When you change the nozzle you will have a new offset. In the same way, the printer will calculate the nozzle position realative to the bed based on the new offest and same mesh.

The only way the mesh can move up or down by adjusting the probe z_offset is if you’re using an endstop for homing, and you haven’t configured relative reference index. If that’s the case, you should configure RRI.

1 Like

@jakep_82 I am using a pinda probe for the Z probe and I haven’t configured the reference index yet. I can post my cfg file later and possibly the two different mesh calibrations based on changing the probe z offset.

@George What you are explaining is what I would expect, but the mesh does not stay the same. The mesh calibration is different if I change the probe Z offset.