Z-tilt Stopped Working with BLTouch

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Prusa I3 Bear clone
MCU / Printerboard: skr 1.4
klippy.log

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file (use zip to compress it, if too big). Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed
Be sure to check our “Knowledge Base” Category first. Most relevant items, e.g. error messages, are covered there

Describe your issue:

My printer uses BLTouch for z homing, bed mesh and z-tilt. It has been working great for several months until it started failing today (no config change that I can recall).

Symptoms:

G28 - homing works fine, the probe is correctly deployed and stowed and correctly probes the distance to the bed then moves to Z=5

BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=pin_down - deployes the probe
BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=pin_up - stows the probe

Z_TILT_ADJUST - does NOT deploy the probe and nozzle crashes into the bed (was working fine for months)

BED_MESH_CALIBRATE - does NOT deploy the probe and nozzle crashes into the bed (was working fine for months)

klippy.log (162.0 KB)

Update: figured it out - the cause was a pinched BLTouch cable which became damaged. When the toolhead was on the left hand side of the bed there was no connection (and thus bltouch would not deploy) but when it was in the center or right it would be fine.

This explains why homing worked, but z_tilt and bed mesh did not (since they start on the left).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.