BLTouch behaves erratically after klipper update

BLTouch was working as expected until I updated klipper to v0.10.0-515-g24a1b50e. Unfortunately I don’t remember what I updated from. I get these errors: BLTouch failed to verify sensor state; retrying, Failed to verify BLTouch probe is raised; retrying most times klipper recovers but sometimes it does not recover and errors out, BLTouch failed to raise probe and in the worst case klipper doesn’t acknowledge the BLTouch trigger at all and the bed crashes into to the toolhead. I can sometimes get through a Z_TILT_ADJUST but I can never complete a G29.

BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=pin_down - pin goes down, light goes off

BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=pin_up - pin goes up, red light goes on

BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=pin_down - pin goes down, light goes off

I’m using a genuine BLTouch v3.1 and I update Klipper quite regularly. Did not notice any changes for a long time.

Had such errors and behavior already myself twice: One instance was a ramshackle wiring and in the other my BLtouch apparently decided to die during me working on the printhead and wiring while being powered on (should have known better - sometimes laziness needs to hurt).

Checked the wiring, I guess I’ll try a new BLTouch.

Bltouch also tends to die (the magnet loses strength or maybe the flash memory gets corrupted?) if left for prolonged time above 60-80 °C, which is the case for enclosed printers with 100+ °C bed when printing small objects so that the probe is close to the bed.
See