BLTouch failing after klipper upgrade

(I also posted this question on Discord, no replies yet).
I updated Klipper yesterday morning to the latest version (v0.10.0-313-gd7f8bf35) and I now get an error when homing Z I get this error message: “klipper BLTouch failed to verify sensor state”. The printer worked fine the evening before (and weeks before this happened), the printer wasn’t moved, no changes to printer.cfg etc.
I have been following the BLTouch section in the Klipper docs, the BLT responds to down and up, but fails the query_probe test. Adding “pin_up_touch_mode_reports_triggered: False” in printer.cfg makes the nozzle run into the bed. This is the full test sequence:

BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=self_test - pin goes down and up repeatedly, red light stays on
BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=pin_down - pin goes down, light goes off
BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=pin_up - pin goes up, red light goes on
BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=pin_down - pin goes down, light goes off
BLTOUCH_DEBUG COMMAND=touch_mode - pin still down, light still off
QUERY_PROBE - response: probe: open
Touching the probe - red light goes on and QUERY_PROBE response: probe: open

I have swapped the BLT and the cable but no change in the problem. I have traced the proper connections from the BLT to the main board.

Other info: this is an Artillery X1, running Klipper with MainSail as a front-end. The printer.cfg goes attached.

printer.cfg (8.6 KB)

Is the BL-touch maybe to close to the printbed and can not perform it’s selftest on power on?

Thanks Eddy, it is ~10cm above the bed and the selftest completes proper.

I had a similar behavior once: Debug commands all working, as soon as needed for homing “BLTouch failed to verify sensor state”
Power-cycling the board did clear it up, so I didn’t bother any further. :man_shrugging:

I power cycled many times, just finished a re-install of klipper, mainsail, and flashing the main board again. No change in the behavior.

To close this ticket: replacing the main board solved the problem. I still have to test the potentially broken board, but for now I have a running printer. Thanks for all the suggestions.