Cannot find EBB42 by CANBUS

Hi All,

I’ve been busy with this already some time, and @AlexOr and @mjoconr helped me already on the way in the topic Octopus Pro Canboot & CAN Bus Bridge

I’ve followed so far all instructions I think I had to follow, but I can’t get it running.

I got a Octopus PRO 429 with make menuconfig:
2022-08-21 17_29_51-pi@mainsailos_ ~_klipper

I copied it to a TF-card and renamed it firmware.bin and it got installed on the octopus board.

Then I did for the EBB42 board:
2022-08-21 17_32_58-pi@mainsailos_ ~_klipper

as it was described in the manual from BTT, and I downloaded the firmware file to the EBB42 with the STm cube like described in the manual. This was without error.

I connected my cable in the RJ11 of the octopus with the pins 3 - 4 connected to a twisted pairand 24V to the EBB. The Vbus jumper I took out and I put a jumper on the 120R resistor, as the EBB is my only board connected to the CANBUS.

I created the file on the RPI /etc/network/interfaces.d/can0 with the content:

allow-hotplug can0
iface can0 can static
    bitrate 500000
    up ifconfig $IFACE txqueuelen 128

rebooted the whole system and looking for uuid’s i get the following:

2022-08-21 17_03_51-pi@mainsailos_ ~

I was expecting to see 2 uuid’s here; the Octopus and the EBB42.

If I disconnect the RJ11, I get the same uuid, so I guess that’s the one for the Octopus then…
I switched Can_L and Can_H, with no result…

EDIT: I just measured the resistance of the CAN line between Can_L and Can_H, and I have 60.2 ohm there. So that seems correct with the termination resistors…

EDIT2: Seems like it lost it’s usb serial port connection to the octopus…

if I reflash my previous klipper.bin without CanBus bridge, I find the octopus again…

2022-08-21 22_37_42-pi@mainsailos_ ~

Did I miss someting else here?

You flashed both boards with 250kHz but setup can0 at 500kHz

thanks for your reply
I understood from the klipper documentation that the speed from can0 file will be ignored.

I gave it a try, modified the can0 file and reboot, but the result is the same

the moment I flash the octopus with the Canbridge enabled firmware, my usb connection is gone…
ls /dev/serial/by-id/* returns an error : ls: cannot access '/dev/serial/by-id/': No such file or directory*

also mainsail can not connect anymore then…

You’ve selected the wrong CAN pins when flashing the Octopus. They should be PD0/PD1.

3 Likes

You are correct, I forgot that detail

As jakep_82 pointed out, the CAN pins you selected for the Octopus Pro board are wrong

I remake the klipper.bin like this now:

but I get the same result, my serial port is gone… and
ls /dev/serial/by-id/* returns an error : ls: cannot access '/dev/serial/by-id/': No such file or directory*

BUT, now I do get 2 uuid’s when i do the ~/klippy-env/bin/python ~/klipper/scripts/canbus_query.py can0
2022-08-22 17_16_10-pi@mainsailos_ ~

So I must talk to the octopus also over CanBus now?

To answer my own question:

Yes, if I replace the serial ID by the uuid of the octopus in printer.cfg then it works!

@jakep_82 thank you for the sharp eye… I read it over and over again and kept missing it!