Double 5015 part cooling fan - 1st in FAN0 and 2nd in FAN1 connector. Possible with klipper?

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender 3
MCU / Printerboard: SKR Mini E3 v2.0

Hello, i wanted to add second 5015 fan for part cooling.
Right now for part cooling Im using FAN0 connection, FAN1 connector isnt using right now due Im using buck converter for 12V Noctua fans on heatsink and mainboard cooling.

Is possible to connect second part cooling 5015 fan to second FAN1 connector, and using them both like one for part cooling ?

Im just afraid of 2in1 connection (2 fans working in one connection - parallel), and mosfets on mainboard…
I found in klipper configuration something like [multi_pin]:

[multi_pin my_fan]
pins: PC7, PC6

[fan]
pin = multi_pin:my_fan

It will work ? (due to actual print, i cant check it right now, just finding information, and i want to be sure it will work)

Should work exactly as you describe it. If the fan calls the multi_pin both PC6 and PC7 will be triggered

in my config.cfg i have right now like this (printing with this as always):

[heater_fan nozzle_cooling_fan]
pin: PC7

[fan]
pin: PC6

what should i change, if wanted to connected fan to PC6 work together with fan connected to PC7 ?

I tried right now:

[multi_pin my_fan]
pins: PC7, PC6

[fan]
pin: multi_pin:my_fan

And only PC7 fan working…

Please post your klippy.log

What exactly do you want to achieve? You will need both fan statements in a proper config:

• [heater_fan] is needed to cool the heatsink
  • [fan] is needed to do the part / layer cooling

I want that my two 5015 fans to work like one in this connection (1st in PC6, and 2nd in PC7). They will be part cooling fans. They need to work like the same if i will connect them in parallel in one connection.

I dont need [heater_fan] cooling, because i run my heatsink fan from buck converter.

Can you tell me, how I can get klippy.log file ? I never try to, and dont know how to do this. Im printing right now.

How-To Trouble-Shoot point 5

Can i do this during print ? (printing right now)

Normally yes. You can also download it via the webinterface mainsail / fluidd

Can I download this klippy.log file in Octoprint ?

No, need to fetch it from the filesystem

So in my situation this is possible to download log file with WinSCP for ex.?

Have you looked at NotePad++?

With the NppFTP plug in (shown in the image above and, I believe built into the basic build) It gives you a graphical view of the rPi’s file system and you can view/edit files or download them. It stores the login information so each time you need to look at the files, it’s only a couple of mouse clicks away. Much easier to work with than WinSCP.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

1 Like

So okay, i found my klippy.log file, just with WinSCP.
klippy.log (7.1 MB)

So, is it possible like i wrote before ?
I wanted two 5015 fans, for my part cooling.
1st fan will be connected to PC6, and 2nd fan to PC7.
Right now im using only one 5015 fan connected to PC6, and just working like 2yrs right now.
This 2 fans which i wanted for part coling, need to work together like one fan - when i set for example 50% for part cooling in slicer, they need to turn on in the same time and work on 50% power, when 20% they need to turn on 20% etc. - just like with normal configuration with one part cooling fan, but just added second fan (like with Hero Me Gen fan duct, left side cooling there is 1st fan, and right side cooling is 2nd fan).
I wanted like on this picture:

What speaks against connecting them in parallel to one fan connector?
Speed controll is still possible, maybe you need to check with different cycle times.

Basically, this is a perfect example for the usage of the multi-pin feature. Of course there are a few additional ways to solve the same requirement but this is a valid approach.

I would consider your current implementation in the Klipper printer.cfg as correct.
What happens if you issue M106 S255? Any error message in the klippy.log? Anything?

When i put M106 S255 in terminal, just only PC6 fan blows (which i had working as part cooling fan before, and now), this fan connected to PC7 just not working, like nothing happend. Zero issue, zero errors.

Edit:
I just check my second fan with 4.2V battery - turning on, so 2nd 5015 fan is good, i just realized that could be dead.

Can you verify that the fans are actually OK? This means:

• Connect fan_1 to PC6, do M106 S255
  • Connect fan_2 to PC6, do M106 S255

Will both fans work then (keeping your current cfg as is)?

I cant do this right now, due to printing. But i checked this second fan with 4.2V battery, and just working good.

Just check it please. Would be kind of bad to hunt a red herring

Okay, but after print. I will reply here when i will check.

1 Like