Extrude Controls greyed out after Klipper restart

Hi all! Just getting a Makergear M2 from 2013 set up with Mainsail and Klipper! So far having a blast!

I’ve run into something that feels like a bug but might be a feature… as they say…

When I get the hotend up to temp for manual extrusion whilst setting up the printer.cfg file, I find a setting that needs to change, like the gear ratio. I go to printer.cfg while the hotend is still hot, make the change, and hit “save & restart”, all is well. The system reboots, comes back up nice and pretty, senses the hotend is still at 200C, and shows it beautifully start to drop off because my command to 200C was wiped with the reboot, as expected.

However, the “extrude” button on the Controls window of the Dashboard is greyed out and says It won’t extrude until the hotend is over 170C (a reasonable limitation). So, knowing that the hotend is now at 194C and dropping, I re-command the hotend to 200C, which it kindly obliges. Only, the “extrude” button is still stubbornly unresponsive and still requests the extruder be above 170C.

It isn’t until the extruder is allowed to cool below 170C and reheated to above 170C that the button comes back on. I smell a state machine issue where the “extrude” button only looks for a transition from 169 to 170C after boot, instead of checking for the current temp on boot.

Am I on to something? or am I missing something simple?

Thanks!

FYI, this sounds like something you may want to ask the Mainsail team about. I’m not sure if they are monitoring this forum.

Cheers,
-Kevin

I reached out to Mainsail. They said they use the can_extrude function from the status section:
https://www.klipper3d.org/Status_Reference.html?h=can_extrud#heater

Does this function just watch for a transition between (my numbers) 169-170C transition before toggling on?
Is this to keep from adding a periodic check temp check of the state machine to the processor load?

Greg