How do you calibrate / determine your printer's max volumetric speed?

I’ve been using a somewhat lazy approach to figuring out my MVS for various filaments … basically keep increasing it until it clicks … and then take ~80% of that (for safety margin) … and its worked … mostly … I’m now thinking I may be seeing some issues in my prints partially due to perhaps issues happening when sustaining a high volumetric rate … (stuff like my perimeters de-laminating (from each other) … if its done at max volumetric rate … the heater may be barely keeping up causing things to be a touch colder than they’re supposed to be for example …

Anyways … this aside … not really looking to troubleshoot that … I’d like to gather pointers on how folks actually go about easily re-running their MVS calibration with each filament they come across …

I recently picked up some of those … “3 hole” “high flow” nozzles … and I’d love to be able to have a better way to re-tune for them to see how much I can safely push them.

I’ve seen some guides where there is an excel sheet that generates some gcode that then generates some filament blobs you can weigh (this way you’re also looking at extrusion dropping off at at higher rates) … etc …

Just wondering if anyone has come across a klipper specific version that is slicker … I’d love to be able to do a “grid” version of a tuning tower … basically repeat a same relative set of gcode with say …extrusion multiplier changed … or some neat extension to klipper which helps with the same (or just some nice website based generator to help setup a test …

Thanks!

You may have a look on this:

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html

2 Likes

Nice, didn’t notice the flow rate tool on there … I’ll have to give it a shot … thanks :slight_smile:

Take a look at this website, this guy has put together some awesome calibration tests. In particular, his Extrusion Multiplier test works far better for me that measuring the wall thickness.

Having said that though, his MVS test isn’t that different in principle from what you are already doing, so the teaching tech method may be better. I just wanted to share an alternative resource for calibration tests

4 Likes