How to configure the slicers speeds and accelerations

Hello guys!

I feel dumb, but I have a huge problem.

So, after a few troubles, klipper is finally installed and functional. There’s a shitload of videos about setting up klipper, kiauh, interfaces, macros etc.

Input shaping and pressure advance done.

But my huge problem is: now what?

I found nothing about configuring the speeds and accelerations in the slicers…

Maybe I’m overthinking but I dont understand which parameters to tweak, and how to tweak them right in prusaslicer or cura.

Speeds…printing speeds? Travel speeds? What to do with input shaping values besides putting them in printer.cfg?

I’m a bit lost for my 1st steps into Klipper.

1 Like

SuperSlicer and OrcaSlicer have optimization tools included.

A good start also is here:

Thanks for your reply. I used this guide for my calibrations and smart sensor macros too.

Do you recommend using the speed test macro?

There’s so much parameters in slicers for speeds, acceleration etc, that’s quite hard to find guidelines and trial and error can be so much time consuming…

Only when you want to go with high speed printing.

Usually the standard profiles that come with the slicers will work quite well.
Those do not need to be optimized from the beginning.

What printer do you have?

I have a modified ender 3, with linear rails on all axis.

I tried a benchy with 200% speed factor, from the original prusa profile and my quality is still good ( 200% of 60 mms inner walls, infill/ 30 mms outer walls).

But only touching the speeds parameters, it seems the printer is still quite slow.

In Prusa slicer, there’s a “travel speed without extrusion”, can I tweak this too to gain some time?

There’s so much advanced parameters for acceleration, so I have to tweak them too, not using the max accel found with input shaping, like a lot less for outer walls right?

Thank you for the time you spend trying to help.

Travel speeds are mostly faster than speeds with extrusion.
This can help preventing stringing as well.

But speed is nothing without acceleration! :wink: You can set the speed to 1000000 mm/s but it won’t be reached if the acceleration is low.
Especially bed slingers use quite low accelerations to not stress the mechanic too much when the heavy bed is moved.
And of course the heavy bed then induces ghosting.

That means you can try increasing acceleration until the motors start missing steps and then turn back a bit.
But the whole process is more complicated than just this.
Acceleration is set in the printer.cfg when not being overridden by the slicer/gcode.

Do not overstrain your printer!

1 Like

Thank you for the tip!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.