Klipper cant communicate with mcu

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Voron 2.4 350mm
MCU / Printerboard: BTT
klippy (1).log (286.6 KB)

Octopus V1.0
klippy.log

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file.

Describe your issue:

…HI Everyone. Not a Newbie but not a pro I have 15 Voron and never had this happen Iupdated one with the BTT Octopus Install and falshing went fine. When you start Mainsail for the first time you have your usual errors to fix. Well, When it asked me for the heater pin I uncommented the standard hookup according to the manual and that when Klipper stopped communicating. If I comment it then I can communicate… Could really use the help. This is my first time posting so forgive me if the logs and config are in the wrong place. Thanks in advance

these are the errors with pin enabled
mcu ‘mcu’: Unable to connect
Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the
“FIRMWARE_RESTART” command to reset the firmware, reload the
config, and restart the host software.
Error configuring printer
and without:
Option ‘heater_pin’ in section ‘heater_bed’ must be specified

Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the “RESTART”
command to reload the config and restart the host software.
Printer is halted

[mcu]
serial = usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_020024001650335331383520-if00

You need to include the full path which will start with /dev/serial/by-id/

1 Like

HI Jake, I sent the wrong file Everything is the same eexcept the USB. IT all there like you said. I pulled apart the machine put in a NEW BOARD again. new cables and a certified USB data cable I have tried everything and I know I am probably missing something stupid. The Pi does have its own power and all the voltages check out fine. I chaged out my pi 3 times and always the same result. I really need some help here I am lost now

Post a new log file. This is almost certainly a configuration problem, not hardware.

I am pulling my hair out over this. I just did a complete new install and its the same so i know its a config issue but I cant find it.

I have made sure the voltages are accurate and all my cables are connect and no breaks or kinks. i did continutity tests on everything and it all checks out fine.
Thanks for your help Jake
Heres thge Klipp log as well

klippy (1).log (101.5 KB)

print.cfg (16.3 KB)

Send a screenshot of the settings you used in menuconfig when compiling the firmware.

I verified the chipset set for STM32f446

Thanks for the info! I tried it and still no connection. I have never had this issue. I just replaced the pi and bought 6 new usb data cables and none of them worked. I tested it on my other vorons and the cable is fine. I tried 2 other new octopus boardfs and the same so there is something in the config or firmware causeing this

Have you verified that the board actually has the F446 chip? BTT makes 3 different versions of the octopus with different MCUs.

Yes, that was the first thing i thought it was but its a STM32F466ZSET6. I have tried mainsail, Fluidd, and Octopi and get the same error on all different boards(all new octopus) 5 new Pi’s, i dont get it

Have you tried different USB cables?

i have tried 9 different cables all data certified. I tried new sd cards 8gb. Is there away to change the baud rate in mainsail? I am thinking it may be that but not sure. I have built 15 voron 2.4’s never had a problem I have 8 more I am building. These are with the new octopus boards but i cant get this one to work

anyone have any other ideas?? I have tried so many times and nothing works What am i missing? I have new cables, Voltage is steady, and I have tried all 3 programs and have the same result. I know its a hardware issue. But nothing i have tried or have been suggested has worked I cant get the mcu to communicate

You said you have 15 other Vorons that don’t have problems, could you try:

1. Swapping the Octopus between the problem one and one that works?
  2. Swapping the rPi between the problem printer and one that works?
  3. Checked the wiring on the 24V and 5V supplies? Is there any chance you have “V+” on one connected to the “V-” on the other when putting in a common ground?

I’m sure it will turn out to be something obvious when you figure it out but I would expect that there’s a wiring issue.

Good luck!

1 Like

thats a good idea . My other ones were built on t he skr with 2 mcu’s they work flawlessly. I love these machines and they are all built identical. When t he need came to build all these other ones i decidedc to go with the BTT Octopus 1. The setup seems simple enough and did not anticipate any of this. Like I said I am not a pro at programming or things like that but I am not a newbie either. it has to be in the programing. I though I missed a step somewhere and have thourghly gone through the ionstall line by line. Thank you for the input I really do appreciate it. I am going to start now and will get back to you

ok i think i may have the solution but not technically sure. does anyone know if we are supoosed to use a USB firmware provided by BTT? I found t his purley by accident . it a usb firmware for all the different chipsets to communicate with the USB If so, how would i add this firmware to the board with the normal klipper firmware after you do your make config. Does this board need the sd c ard in at all times after flashing? I could not find anything on it. This is the website:

Build Firmware Image

1. STM32F446 Precompiled firmware(The source code version used is Commits on Jun 28, 2021)
  • firmware-F446-USB.bin Use USB to communicate with raspberry pi. Connect the type-A USB of raspberry pi with the type-C of motherboard directly to communicate normally.

This is Klipper mainline compiled by BTT. Makes no difference if you compile it yourself, you just have to use proper settings during make menuconfig

I have gone over my settings so many times I know it by heart. I did what was suggested and swapped a board from another printer and thew same error. I replaced all the cables just to be sure… retested my voltage, checked t he c onfig, the wiring. I dont get it. I have othert new octopus boards that i tried as well and it the same, even new pi’s.