Klipper Installed now what about printing real models

Basic Information:

Printer Model: CR-6 MAX
MCU / Printerboard: STM ERA board - Creality standard
klippy.log
klippy (2).log (835.7 KB)

Describe your issue:

I am trying to get good information on how to actually use Klipper on real printing. what settings do i need to set in cura to have the best printing speed with klipper at good quality ?
i have seen information that says to not turn on slicer acceleration settings. but what do i need to set for a faster print than i had with marlin ?

or did i fall for a lot of hype where i saw word that klipper might make my printer run crazy fast ?

i have done all of the starting process, used videos from nero3d and have done the adxl345 tuning and pressure advance and tested for max acceleration. i have the start and stop print macros setup .

do i just use the slicer settings and print and see what happens ?
do i need / want to create a cura profile with new setting for print speed ?
cura defaults to 50 mm/s for print speed - but i have ran calibration tests at 100 mm/s

i am new to this so i need to get some good guidance on what to do next.

Generally a firmware does not make your printer faster or slower. The maximum speed you can achieve depends mainly (99.99873%) on the mechanical capabilities of your printer:

• General mechanical accuracy of the entire printer
  • Stiffness of the frame
  • Kinematic system: A “bed slinger” (like the CR6) is by design not able to achieve speeds like the CoreXY or some Deltas
  • Quality of the linear components, rails, bearings, belts etc
  • Torque of the stepper drivers
  • Quality and melting capabilities of your extrusion system
  • etc

All these points cannot be changed or influenced by the firmware.
What can be stated:

• On high-end printers Klipper can achieve higher speeds than Marlin, because Klipper off-loads calculations to the host
  • Internally operates with higher precision due to using the host’s compute capabilities
  • Klipper has some advanced tuning features like resonance compensations, very capable pressure advance etc
  • Does not need firmware recompiling when changing settings

If you want to view it from this perspective, then yes. Your Fiat 500 will also not turn into a Ferrari and go 300 km/h just because you use high octane fuel.

• Use the slicer as you did before
  • If you use pressure advance avoid using Slicer features that do similar things, e.g. Coasting etc
  • Speed / Acceleration according to the mechanical capabilities of your printer (Side note: Typically acceleration has a bigger influence than printing speed)
1 Like

First THANK YOU! all feedback is welcome!
yes i did not think that Klipper was going to take the printer and do magic that would make a10 hour marlin print happen in 1 hour or some such crazy time. i know that there are real limits to what can be done.

that’s all part of why i am asking the questions. i have seen some folks say that there are things i should do in the slicer like turning on acceleration but i have also seen info that says not to do that. so i am trying to get clarity on that kind of thing.

if anyone else has a cr-6 and is using Klipper I would really find feedback helpful on what they have done in their settings and what they have found to work / and what has not worked.

in the test prints things looked great.
but when i try to print the small Benchy boat stuff fails and i get a pile of sting. so i must be doing things wrong… that i know

just trying to sort this out and get back to printing… i guess for now i will just run slow default speeds and see if anyone can offer more guidance on what i can or should change.

well now i cant even get a benchy to print right… ok i give up, me and klipper and this printer are just not working… return to marlin and octo print - they work… later if someone gets a fully working setup into the repo with good setup i might come back… thanks.