Klipper not flashing to Ender3v2

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender3 V2 with BL Touch
MCU / Printerboard:GD32F303
klippy.log (17.3 KB)

Describe your issue:

I am facing the same issue as described here, which has not been resolved.

My menuconfig settings are:

• STM32F103
  • 28KiB bootloader
  • Serial (on USART1 PA10/PA9)

I can flash Marlin/mriscoc without issues but with klipper the printer is stuck on the Creality splash screen and wont connect. My understanding is that the display should get past the splash screen and be a black screen instead.

Any help would be appreciated in getting this going.

Just chiming in to same I’m having the exact same issue, with the exact same printer hardware.

I don’t suppose you’ve had any luck solving the issue yet?

This thread is just one day old!

Maybe it would be more easy to find a solution by contributing experiences and the klippy.log

I’m aware it’s only a day old, but thought I’d ask anyway, as this seems to be a common problem on this model printer.

klippy log won’t be useful - can’t even flash from SD card, so the Klipper service doesn’t even come into play.

I would not call it a common problem, rather the opposite considering how popular the Ender models are and given the fact that there are a mere handful of such problem reports among 41,000 posts here.

That having said:

Thanks,

I’ll try these out tonight.

How do i check the STM MCU is correct? Is there another chip on the board to look for?

See your picture on top. It is a GD32F303 that is treated like a STM32F103 for the make menuconfig settings

Has this been resolved i could do with your config file so i can check it for you

@Archies_3d_printing :

You noticed that the last post is just 6 hours prior to yours?

Give people time to do things.

1 Like

I’ve still had no luck with this. I’m going to try a different computer once I can get my hands one one.

You might have tried everything from here, but I spend 3 hours doing the same, so here’s a checklist for the 4.2.2 board. Also leaving some steps here for future visitors.

• Is your board 4.2.2? Make sure to see that on your own board.
  • In make menuconfig:
    • Enable extra low level configuration options
    • Microcontroller: STM32
    • STM32F103
    • !! Do not tick the “Only 10Kib”
    • You can disable or leave enabled the “Disable SWD”
    • Bootloader offset: 28KiB
    • Clock reference: 8Mhz (it’s not 16 as some other forum posts may say)
    • Communication interface USART1 (It’s not USB. If you look up the schematics, the usb is connecting a serial-to-usb chip to the USART1.
    • Baud 250000
    • GPIO pins to disable: leave empty unless you need this. (Not yet confirmed, but will try to use this to control the hotend fan later and have put “!PA14” for the moment, but this is not guaranteed to be working as intended for the moment. Nevertheless, the firmware works)
  • Do not use the scripts/flash-sdcard.sh script. It doesn’t work.
  • Do not use the scripts/flash_usb.py script. It just doesn’t work (for me at least).
  • Run make
  • Make sure you find the firmware bin file. It’s in out/klipper.bin. ls -l to see that it is the one modified in the last few minutes… at the time you ran make.
  • Get an SD card. Hopefully it’s around 8GB. Mine is 8GB.
  • Format it (preferably on linux) re-create an MBR partition table
  • Create a single partition that is fat32. Experiment with sizes. Could work with partition as big as the card or something smaller like 4GB partition if your card is big.
  • With an empty partition, just put the firmware file on the card. Experiment with names. The bootloader ignores the last filename that was flashed. Try FIRMWARE.BIN, FIRMWARE1.BIN, etc

For troubleshooting:

• Is the device visible in lsusb and is also visible in /dev/serial/by-id but it does not react and klipper cannot communicate with it? Make sure you are not setting make menucoinfig interface to USB or some other USART. If you are using something other than the USB cable, then you actually need to select another USART and not USART1.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.