Klipper shutdown mid-print randomly

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Ender 3 Neo
MCU / Printerboard: Creality 4.2.2
klippy.log (5.8 MB)

Describe your issue:

My printer randomly shuts down mid-print on some prints.

I have a few theories why:

1- Idle-timeout. For context, my printer is connected to mains voltage through a relay that Moonraker controls. When I upload a file, it gets added to the job queue. I have configured my printer to automatically start jobs and turn on the relay if the printer is turned off.

Sometimes, I preheat the printer before uploading gcode, and I have only seen the random shutdowns after doing this.

I think my idle timeout is trying to turn off the printer while printing. Line 9088 in the log seems to agree: Receive: 99 63603.079596 63603.078820 11: seq: 14, shutdown clock=101465278 static_string_id=Command request

I have attached just the timeout part of my config file:
idle.cfg (1.2 KB)
Feel free to rewrite this - its quite poorly written :wink:

2- Usb serial is poor. My cameras sometimes disconnect and reconnect, so I thought the same thing might be happening. However, I see no such errors in the log.

3- bad gcode. SuperSlicer has been acting up lately - I can no longer use brims since it outputs X coordinates around 270 when I ask for a brim or skirt, even though the bed size is 230. This immediately shuts down the printer - but those errors are specifically visible in the log, and I havent seen them in these shutdowns.

What do you think it is, and what should I do to solve it? Thanks in advance.

This is unrelated.

Your error is:

Timeout with MCU 'mcu' (eventtime=61369.534085)
Transition to shutdown state: Lost communication with MCU 'mcu'

See Timeout with MCU / Lost communication with MCU for more details. Unfortunately, for this kind of error, the root cause analysis can be difficult, but almost certainly relates to your hardware stability.

Also try removing the webcam and see if the error persists.

Thanks for this!

After some snooping, I found the cause to be my 2nd camera. I think 2 cameras + a printer overloaded the Pi 3B’s USB 2 bus, either with power or with data.

I guess I will have to do with one camera or upgrade my Pi.

(The CSI port isn’t really an option for me.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.