Max_z_velocity config error

Basic Information:Klipper error ‘max_z_velocity is not valid in section [printer]’ What could be causing this config error?

Printer Model: RatRig 400
MCU / Printerboard:Octopus v1.1
klippy.log unavailable

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file (use zip to compress it, if too big). Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed
Be sure to check our “Knowledge Base” Category first. Most relevant items, e.g. error messages, are covered there

Describe your issue:

…Klipper error ‘max_z_velocity is not valid in section [printer]’ What could be causing this config error? I’m sorry I don’t have the klippy log. The printer is at Uconn University. I am at home. All the template/example configs show this parameter in that heading? I will post the klippy log tomorrow when I am onsite with the printer. Any advance help is much appreciated. Thanks

Sorry, without klippy.log no answer is possible. In this case, it also makes sense to attach your cfg files.

2 Likes

Here are the config and klippy file. This is a paste extrusion printer. That is why the heat settings are unique. Thanks
klippy (1).log (2.9 MB)
config-20231212-101858.zip (4.4 KB)

Here are the config and klippy file. This is a paste extrusion printer. That is why the heat settings are unique. Thanks
klippy (1).log (2.9 MB)
config-20231212-101858.zip (4.4 KB)

Your main printer config includes 22 additional config files. It looks like one of them may be causing the problem. It looks like you also have some nonstandard modules installed and the config parser is detecting manual modifications to the config file after the auto save header that says not to change anything below this line. That may be due to the copious amount of hash comments in the main config file.

In other words, this is an entirely custom config file on a non-stock version of Klipper so it may be difficult to troubleshoot.

1 Like

According to your log (which luckily summarizes these 22 additional files), you have entered a max_z_velocity and max_z_accel setting in the stepper blocks.

This is not a valid setting for these blocks but they belong to the [printer] config. Review your config files and correct accordingly.

Personal opinion:
The RatRig approach of dividing settings into individual configuration files is cleverly designed from an engineering perspective and deserves appreciation.
However, from a user’s perspective, attempting to modify the printer or identify errors can be a nightmare.

Totally agree with your personal opinion! If I wasn’t so far down the rabbit hole with this project; I would cut bait and start over. Having said that, I was able to get Klipper up and running. Now it’s just a matter of system checks. Thanks for the help.

If you choose to do so, then “solving” this mess is easy: The klippy.log contains the entire printer configuration as collected from all the included cfgs.
Copy it and paste it into the printer.cfg and you have the entire configuration in one place.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.