Neptune 3 Pro Z-axis digging the bed

Hi everyone !

My MKS Pi finally arrived and I’ve been doing the work today in order to fully set it up. After some struggles, I managed to do it. I currently have it working, using mainsail.
In order to start all the callibrations needed (klipper’s actual first use), I gotta home all axis before ANYTHING.

The problem is that the Z-axis keeps digging into the bed, with the motor pushing all the torque it has, making a nice and round recess on the bed. Seems like the sensor that used to level the bed with stock Marlin ain’t working anymore. It just goes…
After I “Home All” and it starts digging, I quickly turn everything off. When I check Mainsail, the last values for X and Y are 117.50, but Z displays 400 !!!. While X and Y are homing, Z displays 10. As soons as Z starts the command to Home, it starts showing 412 and stops at 400ish when I turn it off. So it would have 400 more to go untill it is considered as zero.

I can only guess that the printer thinks it is at height 400 (or above) and needs to go down all that, hence why if will endlessly try to go further down and ruin the bed (and the motor)
I have tryed to limit in the .cfg without sucess. Since I am relatively new to this, help would be appreciated. I’ll link my current printer.cfg.
printer.cfg (2.8 KB)

If anybody has a clue on why, tell me please. I am out of guesses right now.
Thank you very much !!

What kind of probe are you using and what is it’s physical location on your printer?

Your Z offset is way off

[probe]
pin: PA8
# NOTE: Set this to a value based on your printer and bed.
z_offset: 25
x_offset: -28.5
y_offset: 22

This is telling your printer that your probe is 25mm ABOVE your nozzle.
So it’s trying to go down far enough to trigger the probe so of course it’s going to ram your nozzle into the print bed.

Something is definitely off here. Hence the question about your probe setup.

Hello !

My initial thought was that the probe on the neptune 3 extruder (magnetic) would be used. Am I incorrect ? If so, thats why…
Regarding the z offset, it was hapenning even on the stock config (previously it was set to 0). I added the 25 after I saw it on a klipper config for neptune 3 somewhere as a desperate move to try and solve it (setting it 25mm away from the bed).

What I can’t understand is why is it showing 412mm since the printer has only 300mm max z height or less.

Well, if your probe isn’t triggering (Which it sounds like it’s not if your nozzle is ramming into the bed). Then the Z axis has no idea where it is so the 412 isn’t accurate anyways.

Have you tested that your probe is actually working? Like hold up a piece of something metallic to it and see if it triggers?

You can use the “Endstop” function in the Machine tab to see.
It’s at the bottom right.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip. I’ll try it out and post the outcome later.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.