Six axis robots

I built the THOR robot arm. I also work at nScrypt, Inc. and we have a trunnion 5 axis and gantry 6 axis machine and we develop 6 axis software for these machines. Is it possible to run klipper on the fysetc spider or two SKR boards and control a 5 or 6 axis machine? 7 with an extruder or manipulator like a grabber.

The idea would be to use 6 axis CAM or other processors (such as nScrypt’s) to generate gcode like:

G1 X10 Y20 Z30 RS1 RT45 RR97 F100

That would move through the 6 axis movements in the same manner than norma klipper moves from one xyz to another xyz, just with more axes being simultaniously controlled.

1 Like

I’m not aware of anyone currently working on this.

At a high-level there are a couple of different ways to handle additional axes - the simplest is to alter the orientation of the toolhead in commands and movements separate from normal XY moves (so called “3+3” control) - the more advanced mechanism provides simultaneous XY and tilt in a single move (so called “full 6 axis” control).

The former (“3+3”) may be possible to implement today with manual_stepper config sections (see docs/Config_Reference.md for details) and/or minor kinematic updates.

The latter (“full 6 axis”) would require significant work. Off the top of my head, it would involve obtaining a 6 axis slicer, modifying Klipper’s g-code move parser to support the additional axes, updating the toolhead look-ahead code to track and handle the additional axes, updating the trapq code to track the additional axes, and adding the kinematic math functions for the additional steppers.

Cheers,
-Kevin

Hi Kevin, I can’t express how honored I am that you replied. Yes, these are good ideas. nScrypt where I work is doing similar work. I am looking to get my THOR robot arm going on a platform less expensive than what nScrypt runs on. Klipper is obviously the best 3DP software and runs our 12 vorons. I will definitely create a gcode adapter to do the manual_stepper route. Full 6 axis will be the dream.