Stepper buzz x moves both x and y

Basic Information:

Printer Model: Voron 2.4 from Magicphoenix CBT kit
MCU / Printerboard: BTT Manta M8P with CB1
klippy.log
klippy.zip (51.0 KB)
printer.zip (1.2 KB)

Fill out above information and in all cases attach your klippy.log file (use zip to compress it, if too big). Pasting your printer.cfg is not needed
Be sure to check our “Knowledge Base” Category first. Most relevant items, e.g. error messages, are covered there

Describe your issue:

Problem is when I stepper buzz x or y both x and y move. All other steppers, z, z1, z2, z3, buzz correctly.

I have reinstalled klipper from scratch, tried a CM4 module also installed from scratch.
The printer.cfg Im using has only the x, y, z, z1 drivers used, I attached it so you could see how I swapped the drivers from x, y to z, z1 as described.

Last thing I tried was to swap x and y with z and z1 in the printer.cfg so using the drivers that were z and z1, the problem follows x and y. z and z1 work as expected.

I have been working on this a few weeks with no success, also this is the 3rd printer I have set up with klipper. The others worked fine.

TIA!

Likely you can spend a lot more time on this without ever solving it: On a CoreXY printer, moving one stepper will always result in a movement of both X and Y axes.

If its a move they both move, stepper buzz should only move the stepper addressed. That is the way it works on my other coreXY printer.

So when you buzz either X or Y both motors are responding?
Or is the print head moving in X and Y at the same time?

Yes, both motors move.

I can change the directions of the motors by changing the dir_pin (add or remove the ! in front of the pin #)

And, to repeat when I swap drivers the issue is the same, both motors move.

Very strange. You did not populate parallel Z sockets on the board for X and Y?
Did you check the user pins against the driver sockets?

No ;} First thing I checked was the parallel sockets ;}

I went through the pinout several times, and checked by switching the dir_pins to see if the motors reversed and they did.

Also, I re programed the x and y to z and z1, switched the cables and the issue went with the buzzX and buzzY. So using different drivers and plugs didnt make a difference.

It is very strange!!

Seems as if the step pins of X and Y are connected via software.
So even with X and Y on Z driver ports both react in the same way?
Your config is very simple and not overloaded with thousands of macros that could cause issues.
Are the motors directly wired to the board?

Have you tried by just only swapping the cables?

Motors are cabled to the board, 1 cable per motor direct.

I cut down the config to the minimum that would work. Guess I could remove the extruder can part too if you think that would help?

Changing the dir_pin polarity changes the direction of both motors! The voron labels the x and y, a and b…

Like this:

Buzz X
B CCW
A CW

Buzz Y
B CW
A CCW

Invert X
B CW
A CCW

Invert Y
B CCW
A CW

If that makes sense?

Hardwired, no plugs?

Yes, the problem stays with x and y when swapping the cables.

There are plugs at each end of the cable.
There is a socket on the Manta board and a socket on each motor.

What happens when you - just for testing - you change the kinematics to Cartesian?

Just for the buzz test.

Dosnt change. Both x and y still move…

This is more than strange.

Is the board inside an enclosure? Or can you make a photo of it?

1 Like

LOL! The wiring looked a lot better before I started troubleshooting this ;}

@Sineos already provided you with the correct answer. When you move only the A or B motor on a corexy, the toolhead will move in a 45 degree diagonal direction. That is the expected and correct result. Stepper buzz doesn’t enable kinematics, so you will always get movement in X and Y when doing this.

Maybe I wasnt clear on the problem. BOTH motors move.