Sudden recurring and irreparable TMC 'stepper_x' reports GSTAT: 80000000

Basic Information:

Ender 6 Core XY Base
Mainboard: SKR 3 EZ
Host: BigTreeTech Pi v1.2 to usb on SKR 3 EZ with USB CAN adaptor to
EBBCan 42 toolhead -
Stepper Drivers: XY: BTT EZ 5160RGB Z: BTT EZ 2209, E on 2209,
XY Steppers: ldo-42sth48-2804ah, z: Creality Ender 6 near impossible to find spec stepper, e is a recently bought LDO pancake
Has active stepper driver cooling,
Meanwell 600w PSU, Sprite SE extruder, custom hotend with cermaic heater and original bed heater. Only other thing that might be worth mentioning is lots of buck converters for delivering a whole load of customised voltage fans etc.

This thing has been torn apart and put back together… alot.

printer.cfg (20.7 KB)

I run mainsail/klipper on Pi with the TMC autotune lib installed for the 5160s

klippy (11).log (1.8 MB)

I completed my last print on the 1/02/24, then the next print failed with TMC stepper_x report GSTAT:80000000
Behind that in the logs occasionally there’s a GSTAT 00000005 (under voltage error). Stepper_X had shown the above GSTAT 8000000 prior to this in late 2023 when I as initially messing around with the new 5160’s but it vanished as quickly as it appeared and I never traced the fault. Now, that’s all it does.

I have:
Updated klipper to 12.0.xx - latest commit @01/02.24 & updated the SKR3EZ, EBBCan42, Linux Process to the same version built for each.
Checked the stepper cables all wires perfect closed circuit
Checked the motor coils as best I know how (resistance and circuit shown between each pair.
Run a multimeter on the casing for non-grounded voltage/current
Run an oscilliscope on the casing and power output checking DC/AC (24.2v) (an amount of noise which is less than my e3 with dodgy cheap PSU)
Turned on/off autotune
Changed autotune settings
decreased the current by 0.2A to XY
Swapped over the X/Y EZ5160RGB - which in truly unhelpful form did not change the stepper error from x to y. stepper x as before
Checked the heat sink contact inside the EZ5160s as far as I dared pry (literally)
Reseated the drivers (5160) obviously
Checked and increased vastly the active stepper cooling.

I am completely mystified, I have relatively little experience with the complexities of TMC drivers/settings - the 5160s where a world of pain to even understand roughly how different they are. I’ve no doubt not seen everything upgrading this but I’ve seen and fixed a hell of a lot.

I cannot print, GSTAT 80000000 + occasional 00000005 (under voltage!) happens regardless of anything I do between 2-10 seconds after the motors begin turning on the home cycle. Worth noting at one point they seemed to sync perfectly crashing the instant it hit the end stop but since have proven it happens at an arbitrary time.

Can anyone please offer any guidance as to what might be going on here? I’ve scienced the shit out of it and cannot understand why this would happen at all let alone spontaneously after working for a year or 2 (given repeatedly upgrading it into a NOT ender 6).

Finally just a note to say the full software/firmware upgrade was a reactive response, not the cause so far as I understand, unless I’m juggling multiple issues leading to the same failure. Could a stepper motor cause this in the driver?

Any help would be very much appreciated

I am so sorry, I just moved the driver over to the extruder socket and it’s fine. Took 2 days of my life away thinking of every other possibility in existence, but for anyone who happens to be a running an SKR 3 EZ. The stepper driver => motor sockets, apparently just, go off and start performing weird balls throwing TMC errors I’ve never seen.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.