TMC 'stepper_x' reports error: GSTAT: 00000001 reset=1(Reset)

Hi guys,

for a few days now my previously working printer stopped working with the Error in the title.

The error seems to happen primarily but not only on long y moves.

I’ve tried to increase the run_current value, decrease movement speed, with no success.

I’ve tried switching the stepper drivers, the cables and the motor itself, but the error persists.

The stepper for which the error is reported varies from x, y, z and z1, never extruder though.

I guess this is somehow related to the new TMC Driver Error checking in V0.10.XXX?

I’m running a BTT Skr E3 Turbo in this printer.

klippy.log (312.5 KB)

Any Ideas on what I could try next? Im really out of ideas!

Please see and continue here: TMC 'extruder' reports error: GSTAT: 00000001 reset=1(reset - #10 by the_dragon_no1

That seems to be a different problem. I tried everything mentioned, including changing the stepper, and that didn’t work for me.

The run_current for the y-axis with 2A is quite high. TMC2209 limit is 1.7A

Do the steppers have passive and active cooling?

As @EddyMI3D noted, your run_current is too high for that driver. A TMC2209 on a stepstick will not handle 2A even with good active cooling. The chip itself is rated for 2A, but there’s not enough copper on a stepstick board to sink that much heat.

They have active cooling.

The high run_current value was just to test if the error is related to a too low value.

So in the Meantime I bought a new 24V Meanwell PSU to replace the original 12V one, didn’t help.

Then i bought a new board (same one), and even that didn’t help.

I also completely changed the wiring, needless to say, it also didn’t help.

I have no ideas left, does no one have an idea what might be causing this?

When I do DUMP_TMC after the error happens, I can see that ALL of the drivers have the reset flag set. Maybe that helps?

I assume you have TMC2209 drivers to put into the slots of the board.
And I assume that the drivers are correctly setup for UART mode.

Maybe this helps: TMC2209 SilentStepStick in UART-mode on SKR 1.4 · Issue #3672 · Klipper3d/klipper · GitHub

The E3 Turbo comes with pre-soldered TMC2209 drivers…

‘driver_tpfd: 0’ in the stepper config worked for me.

[tmc5160 stepper_x]

cs_pin: PC14

sense_resistor: 0.075

interpolate: True

run_current: 1.28

#hold_current: 1

#stealthchop_threshold: 501

spi_software_mosi_pin: PG15

spi_software_miso_pin: PB6

spi_software_sclk_pin: PB3

driver_tpfd: 0

Hi, did you figured out a solution, or what caused the issue?

Nope, I did not, but I was able to return the Board and got my money back…

In one of the recent Klipper updates the recommendation regarding setting a hold_current for TMC drivers changed, I thought this might be related to this issue. But since I dont have the board anymore I couldn’t test it.

There are also 2 threads on the Github of the E3 Turbo:

But no solutions there either.

Same issue. Just updated klipper literally a few hours before it started happening. Pretty much a brand new build and i am 100% CERTAIN that there is no loose connectors or bad connections (i am a auto electrician by trade). So definitely a firmware problem. Could the devs look in to this issue at all? Its holding me up now… btw mine is saying stepper Y

What does this do?

Did see it mentioned on the Klipper website, but not under the 2209 driver section tho.