Hardware known to work with KlipperScreen

V1 and V2 does not support DPMS → Screen LEDs stay on.

G’day…Im having massive issues calibrating my touch on the VoCore any calibration suggestions?

What screen you got? I just got the 5 inch model and it seems framebuffer driver does not work with this display.

As noted elsewhere, I am able to get the 4" Miuzei HDMI display working with a Raspberry Pi 4 and KlipperScreen.

To cut to the chase, this display requires a fairly parsnickety set up (which I’ve listed below) and after using this display for several hours, I do not recommend it for use with KlipperScreen/a 3D printer. The screen isn’t really bright and the resistive touch panel is not very sensitive. You can find DSI displays with capacitive touch panels for the same price that work better.

The process to get the display and touch panel is reasonably simple, but it has to be followed exactly:

1. Install Mainsail (I haven’t tried Fluidd or standard Octoprint for this) on a micro-SD/TF Card and boot the Raspberry Pi with the Display attached.
  2. SSH login into the Raspberry Pi and install LCD-show using the commands listed in “How to rotate the display direction” in 5inch HDMI Display-B. I’ve listed the commands below. DO NOT EDIT CONFIG.TXT!!!
  3. The final command of the LCD-show sequence (“sudo MPI4008-show”) will reboot the Raspberry Pi and may cause the display to come up correctly. If it doesn’t (which means I believe the display isn’t working correctly), unplug the Raspberry Pi and replug it - the Raspberry Pi boot sequence should be displayed now. If there aren’t four Raspberri Pi icons across the top of the display, go back to 1. and start over.
  4. SSH login to the Raspberry Pi and install KIAUH using the instructions below.
  5. Run KIAUH using the “./kiauh/kiauh.sh” command and install “KlipperScreen”. This action will take about five minutes to run.
  6. Klipper should appear on the display.
  7. I found it helpful to power down the Raspberry Pi at this point (using the “shutdown” command) and power back up as the final update didn’t always work from this screen.
  8. If everything has been done correctly, then the Raspberry Pi should reboot (with the progress shown on the display) and Mainsail comes up.
  9. From the Mainsail (“.local”) webpage, add your “printer.cfg” file
  10. From the Mainsail (“.local”) webpage, do a update everything.

That’s it!

The LCD-show commands from point 2. to use are:

sudo rm -rf LCD-show
git clone GitHub - goodtft/LCD-show: 2.4" 2.8"3.2" 3.5" 5.0" 7.0" TFT LCD driver for the Raspberry PI 3B+/A/A+/B/B+/PI2/ PI3/ZERO/ZERO W
chmod -R 755 LCD-show
cd LCD-show/
sudo ./MPI4008-show

Note for the last command (“sudo ./MPI4008-show”), it’s given as “sudo ./XXX-show 90” in the webpage instructions. I have inserted the display type and, as I like the natural orientation of the display away from the power cord, I haven’t specified an angle.

Sorry for the pedantic instructions but I found a number of ways to not quite get there - I had a number of cases where I could get the display working, but KlipperScreen wouldn’t work or I would have everything working and try to streamline it by doing the “update everything” earlier in the process and the screen would stop working.

The display and touchpanel with a Plexiglas frame (as well as fan, which is useful) can be found here:

Ingpool 7" HDMI touchscreen…dirt simple to setup
I like it most as the connectors are mid back panel making it compact to case up as the cables aren’t sticking out the side inpool wiki and setup
Avail on Amazon (at least as off 22021014)

Has anyone attempted the BTT Pi TFT70 or is it the same as the TFT50?

Hey any chance there is a version of this that would work with the 7" version? Im having a heck of a time getting it to work.

Hello my friend. So I bought this same screen… I haven’t started to install yet… But this is my first go round with KlipperScreen. So I have a few questions if you don’t mind… if you could help I would appreciate it.

1. Which wiring did you use? HDMI to the Pi?
  2. Where did you power it from? Just plug into the Pi?
  3. You said no “settings changes needed” so I just install “Klipper Screen” to my Fluidd instance and this just works?

Thank You man… any configs you could share etc. would be great.

bump
Help in this matter would be greatly appreciated! TY!!

Just reporting that Osoyoo 5" screen works perfectly. (Instruction for Raspberry Pi 5″ DSI Touch Screen « osoyoo.com) I choose this over PITFT50v2 because the Osoyoo has software controlled backlight - including totally off, and works out of the box with DPMS and via /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness.

@ AbnRanger375
Did you compare the schematics?

@hcet14 Is the hardware an issue that I should be looking at? I thought that it may be the firmware. What specifically would I be looking for on the schematics?

Hi AbnRanger375,
Forget the schematics :wink:

Hardware - KlipperScreen says Hardware known to work:
BTT PI TFT50

BTT PI TFT70 also is an DSI display.
Both use the same hardware:

• HK32F030K6T6 MCU
  • GT911 Touch Controller

OctoPrint OS and MainsailOS are build upon Raspberry Pi OS Lite, I guess other frontends too.

Here is explained how to install the BTT PI TFT50 display with Octoprint BIGTREETECH PI TFT50 Octoprint Touchscreen Install & First Look - YouTube

So, I’m very positive, that it will be easy to get the display running.

2 Likes

Sunfounder 7 in display kit just worked. It uses the hdmi port.

5" ADS7846 800x480 TFT LCD Display HDMI Monitor working.

I bought mine from DollaTek on Amazon: https://amzn.eu/d/0dW1bPu
The documentation available from this seller was non-existent, but I found that the information supplied by Waveshare for their similar screen which uses the same touch panel was helpful so I assume the Waveshare screen will work too: https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/5inch_HDMI_LCD

The screen was automatically detected and display was working as soon as it was plugged in to my RPi3B and powered on, but the touch screen needed some work to set up.

After setting up my system with Mainsail OS and KlipperScreen, I added the below text to config.txt and rebooted the system:

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
hdmi_drive=1
dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,speed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=150,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900

Note: When I initially opened the config I was troubleshooting using the KlipperScreen documentation and edited the line “dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d” to “dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d”. I don’t know if this helped but if nothing is working after everything else it’s worth trying.

To install the touch calibration software:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evdev xinput-calibrator

Enter these commands to edit the touch screen calibration file:

sudo cp -rf /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/45-evdev.conf
sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf

The bit that took the most trial and error was finding the right settings for to enter here as they’re not exactly like what was on the Waveshare site. What worked for me was:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "calibration"
        MatchProduct    "ADS7846 Touchscreen"
        Option  "Calibration"   "3905 208 288 3910"
        Option  "SwapAxes"      "1"
        Option "EmulateThirdButton" "1"
        Option "EmulateThirdButtonTimeout" "1000"
        Option "EmulateThirdButtonMoveThreshold" "300"
EndSection

Save these settings and reboot again and hopefully your screen is working properly. I’ve not gone as far as trying to rotate the screen yet but the Waveshare website has instructions if you’re feeling brave.

Lcd rpi 3.5" china product !! Good driver OK! But…no graphic Then you>> raspi-config >>advance>>GL driver shoot 1, reboot >>graphic open Great!!!..

If touch screen on this lcd flip x-y axis , this is hard problem for me… I search and test script many many day to fix this problem …use this script…>>

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf

option “SwapAxes” “0” >>change it 1>>0 save and reboot
touchscreen touch perfect !! and Good to use them for cheep LCD…Lower than 10$ good bye!!

I took the plunge based on what @hcet14 mentioned above and purchase a PI TFT70. I can confirm it is working with Klipperscreen! Pared with a Raspberry Pi 4 and an SKR 3 EZ mainboard powering my Ender 5 Plus.

I didn’t have to do much in terms of configuration, just followed the standard Klipperscreen installation process through KIAUH and setup the config as recommended.

1 Like

Hi!
UCTRONICS 5" UC586 works.

[ UCTRONICS_HDMI_CTS/README.md at master · UCTRONICS/UCTRONICS_HDMI_CTS · GitHub ]

I had a hard time not working, but it was simply a bad USB cable.

Is klipper able to turn it off for saving power??
This screen size is awesome, I am building my Trident and this is perfect bu I am not sure if klipper has power saving built-in for display.

Thank you

SunFounder 7 Inch HDMI 1024×600 installation was as hard as connecting all the cables and turning everything on :sweat_smile:
Gorgeous display

I still have no printer (building process)