Persistent blobs/zits

Basic Information:

Printer Model: ender 5+ w/ mosquito nozzle mod
MCU / Printerboard: SKR3 EZ
klippy (4).log (18.2 KB)

Describe your issue:

…I’m having some issues tuning out blobbing on my prints, it seems to be consistently occurring at the seams, I’ve calibrated the extruder in the firmware, I’ve tuned pressure advance settings, I’ve been trying to tune my retraction settings in the slicer (prusaslicer) and nothing seems to effect the blobs I’m seeing. I uploaded the last gcode file. I suspect I did something in firmware which is overriding the slicer’s retraction settings, but I’m having a really hard time figuring out what it is.

retraction_cube_test_23m_0.20mm_200C_PLA_ENDER5PLUS.gcode (253.1 KB)

Thanks!

A photo of the issue would help here.

Have you did a flow calibration for that filament?
If not the tools here are very helpful.

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#flow

trying that now…

that’s a really handy tool! thanks!

1 Like

just ran the flow calibration, was only about 0.07 off on the extrusion multiplier.

still not really seeing any changes in my retraction settings reflected in the parts at all.

Check the other calibrations and adjustments tools. I just recommended that one that fixed my issue with a slight over extrusion (random bumps)

What is you Z seam setting? Is it random?
To exclude retraction as source of the issue you can print a hollow tower or cylinder in vase/spiralized mode.

On a work trip so not in front of my systems.
Did any zits/blobs show when you did the vase mode cube for the extrusion multiplier?

z seam is set to random.

no blobs on vase mode, so I feel confident that its related to my retraction settings. but again, I’m not really seeing any noticeable changes when I’m adjusting my slicer settings.

I am seeing that the nozzle hangs momentarily at the end of each move, seems to coincide with blobs on the surface. but so far I haven’t been able to identify the root cause yet.

1 Like

Did you by accident lowered the retraction speed to a minimum?
Due to the pressure inside the hotend and maybe gravity the molten filament will flow out of the nozzle when there is no movement and that causes blobs.

As this happens on straight lines/perimeters we can exclude some kind of overloading due to high resolution arcs and stuff.

Do you use slicer retraction settings as I do not see anything in the config?

However I found those macros: SET_PAUSE_NEXT_LAYER

I use Simply3D V5 as my slicer with the profile for the printer, no other changes than the extrusion multiplier.

I’ve been trying to use slicer retraction settings, mostly just cause that’s more what I’m used to. but like I said, making adjustments on the slicer side doesn’t seem to be effecting what’s coming out of the printer.

re: the SET_PAUSE_NEXT_LAYER macro, I think I just copied the ender 5+ setup and made adjustments to accommodate the new motherboard… should that macro be disabled if I’m not using firmware retraction?

I use Simplify3D as my slicer, and for me, enabling coasting and wipe along with a retraction really helps a lot. As an example, with a 0.4 nozzle and Atomic PETG-CF I have a 0.2 coast and a 0.2 wipe. I rarely use a filament fan with this stuff, and with a 0.1 layer, I either don’t retract (part dependent) or only retract 2-3MM when it’s needed. This is also on a CR10 with a bowden, so for direct YMMV.
So, if you use S3D, look at coast and wipe, and if you use something else, look for similar commands.

You can’t compare settings for CF filament with PLA.
Those blobs don’t occur under normal circumstances with PLA but are not caused by Klipper.

I was speaking of the physical results that coasting (shutting down the extruder X distance prior to the end of a movement), and wiping (keeping to nozzle down and moving without extruding while moving during the last X distance) before moving up to the next layer as being helpful to decrease blobbing - this is completely filament type independent, and a physical reality. Now, the values put into these fields are indeed dependent on lots of factors, filament type being only one, but the physical reality and it’s effects exist regardless of filament type.

Another thing you might want to try is slightly reducing the nozzle temperature so the molten plastic is not quite a ‘runny’. Find a small thing you can print quickly and do it at several temps slightly lower than the one you have set now. I have had luck with this option as well. It’s all very brand and material type dependent.

It is rather helpful finding the source of that issue than covering it up with those features.
As said it is not needed for PLA under normal conditions.

Nice page! Useful and bookmarked.
Cheers

1 Like

Uhm you have a rotation_distance of 62.564 in your extruder section.
What feeder are you using with such a high value?
What stepper driver controls the feeder motor as there is no TMC section for it like for the other stepper motors?