TMC 'extruder' reports error: GSTAT: 00000001 reset=1(reset

New round of erros… And yeah, random ones as always…

And this time is seems to only be happening around the filament change part. (Noting new really)

As i touch/add the extruder to add new filament i can hear the steppers turn off. Not really sure if the filament does press slightly agains the gear and turn the motor a few steps, possible. Or it is static electricity.
Its just wierd…

As mentioned before, i have grounded the maching with an extra wire also, but still kinda thinking this is a static problem, maybe.

Anyways, so i was now starting to consider looking for another board to replace my E3 Turbo, but then i started digging in my papers, and turned out i had stepper reset errors also before i ordered the E3 Turbo card, so i was on stock board then… Man… I’m lost…

Soo, did anyone try to go back to Marlin or similar, to see if it actually is a Klipper issue or something else?

Nope, but I tried several boards.

I only had this problem with the E3 Turbo in combination with one particular Printer, I tried 3 different E3 Turbo Boards, and they all had this problem. The weird thing is that I have 2 other printers runnig on that board for years now, and they never ever had any issues.

Anyways, I gave up on the E3 Turbo Board because of this and returned them all. I’m now running a BTT Rumba32 board in the Printer in question, which you can get for 24$ currently from Ali, and never had this (or any similar) problem again.

Ok, thanks! Will reconsider getting another board then.

I am having these same errors at random times suddenly. Do not even know where to start to diagnose what the problem is. It was printing fine up till recently. This is a anycubic linear kossel plus with an skr 1.3 board
Any help appreciated.
klippy.log (3.6 MB)

Apart from the information written above (TMC 'extruder' reports error: GSTAT: 00000001 reset=1(reset - #39 by Sineos) I cannot offer any more advice.
You have to find the culprit causing the issue. Unfortunately the spectrum seems pretty broad.

Where should I even start to diagnose?

Sorry, as stated in the above referenced post: It could be anything from cable, stepper, stepper driver, endstops, other sensors. You can only go step by step.

Happy update here :slight_smile:

Well i finally got to changing out the E3 Turbo board.
Took a shot for the Octopus Pro even being a little overkill. Tho, cant recall having seen anyone had stepper reset errors on them, so thats why i ended on it.

And well guess what… No more errors what so ever, and i could even finaly enable the filament sensor again! This has never been possible since i installed the E3 card, would always throw stepper reset error when the filament sensor triggered. Now it just works!

I’m running an SKR 1.4 Turbo, with a Pi 3B (not +) and the waveshare CAN hat with the Mellow Fly-SHT36 board at 500k, on a ~1m long wire. I’ve gotten the GSTAT reset multiple times mid-print (even during the very slow first layer). No other errors such as synch/timer problems. All wires seem good and solid. The extruder is running a Moon’s NEMA14, wired to the onboard 2209 on the mellow board.

Is there any indication I could look for in the log that would tell me if this reset could be triggered by the CAN connection?

Edit: Klipper log of it happening: klippy(1).log - Google Drive

Small update here.
Octopus pro board still runs great! Zero stepper reset errors.

On my other printer, that still runs the E3 turbo i discovered something new now, regarding this.

I use tweezers on the fly to remove filament from around the nozzle. Mainly at the start of a print tho. Now, what have started to happen is it doing a stepper reset instantly if there is contact between it, and the nozzle. Must be either static shot, or a ground shortage thru me i guess. Could possible happen mainly when i use my foam slippers. Which i guess could generate some statics. Will check this out closer, and report back.

Hi, I also experiencing this error on stepper x or extruder on Ender 6 with SKR mini E3 V2.0. I have a theory how to avoid it, but not proven yet.
All it comes from poor circuit design from BigTreeTech. The ESD protection is missing completely here. Just look into TMC2209 datasheet. Trinamic recomends at least basic ESD protection with capacitors or better an LC filter. Another recomendation is to use ESD conductive plastic parts (stealthburner in my case). Signaficant difference can be seen, when looking on original creality board vs. BTT. Creality has LC filter on each stepper driver output, BTT not a single capacitor.

I got partial proof of this, when I touched extruder by hand and klipper shutdown immediatly.

I am going to replace black ABS parts of extruder with ESD ABS and try to add capacitor on stepper outputs. Another option is to swap back to creality stock board.

Another thing to try is connecting the stepper’s body to Protective Earth (PE) of your mains installation

Sorry, I do not think so. Grounding is safety feature but does not protect stepper driver from ESD discharge as the motor winding isolated from body. Also the lower the resistance (grounding) the higher the discharge current and higher risk of damaged driver.

1 Like

Here we apparently agree to disagree: All my steppers are connected to PE and I do not have any issues, also with two different BTT boards.
Generally solid grounding is the first and foremost measure against EMI / ESD since power / current is a lazy bitch and will make its way to the least resistance and this clearly is PE.

Edit, since we are already on an educational trip:

• For protection against electrical interference it is recommended / sufficient to bond a single side of a shield to GND, e.g. cable shield, coaxial outer lead etc. The body of the stepper can be considered as shield
  • For protection against magnetic interference it is required to bond both ends of a shield to GND otherwise you have near to no effect against this type
2 Likes

Sorry, but i had the same error happening on Stock Ender 5+ board also.

BUT, only after installing Klipper… Hmm.

I have also added extra ground from psu to frame, but no difference.

Looking at pictrures of Ender 5+ boards I see no ESD protection. Mine stock board is Creality 4.3.1.

1 Like

Marlin just silently ignores such errors. Klipper is far more strict here, which, IMO, is the right thing to do, since it points to an underlying issue.

This is basically good but depending on the way your steppers are mounted they might not profit from this. Check with a multimeter, you should essentially have 0 Ohm towards PE.

1 Like

Hi, I don’t have Klipper running, but was following the thread.

I compared the schematics of my MKS TMC2209 V2.0_001 drivers with the TMC2209 datasheet.

Two things don’t nearly match.

• On the 5VOUT pin of my MKS TMC2209 drivers is just a 100nF capacitor connected instead of a 2,2 to 4,7µF capacitor, recommended in TMC2209 datasheet.
    The datasheet calls it “ceramic filtering capacitor”, I would call “buffering capacitor”.

• Second, the buffering capacitor on the VS pin is way to small. Just 1µF. 47μF or larger is recommended.

Since Klipper can do a much higher step rate than Marlin, your steppers may have no stable voltage supply to work decent.

You might check your drivers, which capacitors are used.
MKS TMC2209 V2.0_001 SCH.pdf (66.0 KB)

1 Like

When tou say PE, that’s ground on psu or? My electro skills aren’t that great :grin:

I have contact~ zero ohm between stepper housing and frame. And frame is connected to ground on psu