TMC 'extruder' reports error: GSTAT: 00000001 reset=1(reset

Yeah, Mine was a cabling issue too. It wasn’t the crimps as I suspected, but when I took the motor off to redo them, I noticed that the insulation on one of the leads had broken and the core was badly frayed, just hanging on by a couple of strands of copper. I think my PTFE umbilical that feeds the filament to the extruder had been moving the stepper lead during prints and the lead had basically been chewed up by rubbing on the plastic cable restraint in the back of the motor. It’s one of the little Nema 14 pancake motors used on the sherpa mini etc. and doesn’t have a terminal at the motor itself. I had to open up the motor to be able to strip enough of the wire to repair it, but it was a pretty painless fix tbh. I’ve now routed the cable in such a way that there’s no interaction between the motor wire and the PTFE tube. I’ve had no GSTAT errors since and I can finally get on with tuning the machine. :partying_face:

Classic. Had these kinds of problems too until I’d finally figured how how to crimp dupont connectors. You got to crimp the insulation too – to reduce bending radius on wires.

I think I may have figured out what’s happening…

First question, do you live someplace that experiences winter? (I’m in Minnesota myself). Here, it gets very dry, and static electricity is very real. This error started showing up for me after the first couple of snowfalls.

I noticed that klipper would crash whenever I’d grab the extruder load the new color…

I’ve started “grounding” myself (touching the frame and maintaining contact through the changing process) to the frame of my printer before going anywhere near the extruder. It’s reduced the failure rate from ~75% to about ~30%… (of course it doesn’t matter when you arc a static shock from 1/2" when you’re getting ready to ground yourself :rofl:… Found that it last night)

Something to try.
Keith

Hugh. Yeah, in winter climate too. Hadn’t seen that. Question is, where is the sensitivity, the thermistor wires, stepper wires (unlikely), or the heater wires (maybe too?). I’d try with the thermistor first. Put a clamp zenior accross it at the board. But that will likely affect the calibration profile. Googled it a bit, there may be ‘a thing’ for this. Like, it is an issue. For you heater, I’d expect the mosfet or SSR has clamping diode in it already. The steppers definitely do.

I suppose it could also be wires to yor fan, PWM part fan? That could use one, easy enough to use with that disconnected. The head heater fan, always connected? Mine goes right to power supply so that wouldn’t be issue if it is like that. (maybe? but it could be)

Hi everyone. I am joining this topic because everything that I tried did not work. I still get tihs"TMC ‘extruder’ reports error: GSTAT: 00000004 uv_cp=1(Undervoltage!)" error. I also tried to extrude without the pins conected to the stepper or to the board. Any idea on what shoul i do? The log is to big so I am unable to upload at this moment.
This is what I got from Dump_TMC
15:08:49
$ DUMP_TMC STEPPER=extruder
// ========== Write-only registers ==========
// SLAVECONF: 00000200 senddelay=2
// IHOLD_IRUN: 00081811 ihold=17 irun=24 iholddelay=8
// TPOWERDOWN: 00000014 tpowerdown=20
// SGTHRS: 00000000
// ========== Queried registers ==========
// GCONF: 000001c4 en_spreadcycle=1 pdn_disable=1 mstep_reg_select=1 multistep_filt=1
// GSTAT: 00000005 reset=1(Reset) uv_cp=1(Undervoltage!)
// IFCNT: 00000007 ifcnt=7
// OTP_READ: 0000000e otp_fclktrim=14
// IOIN: 21000051 enn=1 diag=1 pdn_uart=1 version=0x21
// FACTORY_CONF: 0000000e fclktrim=14
// TSTEP: 000fffff tstep=1048575
// MSCNT: 00000008 mscnt=8
// MSCURACT: 00f7000c cur_a=12 cur_b=247
// CHOPCONF: 34030053 toff=3 hstrt=5 tbl=2 vsense=1 mres=4(16usteps) intpol=1 dedge=1
// DRV_STATUS: 80110000 cs_actual=17 stst=1
// PWMCONF: c80d0e24 pwm_ofs=36 pwm_grad=14 pwm_freq=1 pwm_autoscale=1 pwm_autograd=1 pwm_reg=8 pwm_lim=12
// PWM_SCALE: 00000014 pwm_scale_sum=20
// PWM_AUTO: 000e0024 pwm_ofs_auto=36 pwm_grad_auto=14
// SG_RESULT: 00000000

Coming back with te klippy log
klippy (2).zip (2.2 MB)

So what i think i can conclude with on this since i started the topic in Oct -21, is that after commenting out the filament sensor, and just not use it, has solved the issue!
I have not had any more issues with this since then, and im running two E5+ printers with same card, so i would say the result is redundant.

Tho i miss having a filament sensor, so i might try to wire up the sensor to another port, and try again.

(Ender 5+ with E3 Turbo card)

Also on Ender 5+ with E3Turbo.since I upgraded my extruder, rhe filament sensor is gone(to lazy to print an adapter). Also worth mentioning that I ricived this eror on the z stepper the first couple of times. The i unplugged and plugged back all the steppers. Since that I am getting the extruder error.

Just to add to this ever growing list:
I just relocated my printer’s electronics and voila the dreaded GSTAT error.

Turns out it was a wonky connector of the MAX31865 board I have connected to a free driver slot. Connector fixed, problem gone.

I will go and check all the connectors and i will come back with the outcome. Fingers crossed although I dubt the problem is from one of the connectors, especialy one of the extruder stepper’s connectors. I’ll be back in a few hours

Nothing, not a single thing works. I will try to recompile the firmware tomorow, even if it’s a long shot but who knows

Officially giving up after checking all the wiring, flashing the firmware and recompiling the software. If anyone wants more info on what I did contact me at petrusimion55@yahoo.com

Also with te motors on after a simple "home all axis " when I remove the Y stepper conector, i recive the same GSTAT:00000001 reset=1(RESET) but for the “Z” driver.

So, I “fixed” my problem… But still don’t know where the problem is…

I grounded the frame to the earth pin on my mains power supply. I simply
connected a wire (an old thermistor wire :wink: ) with a T-nut to the frame
extrusion, and screwed it into the earth ground on the power supply.
HAVEN’T HAD A SINGLE CRASH! B)

Good luck, and happy printing!

2 Likes

Yeah that to is kinda random. I did that to mine to, but no difference :stuck_out_tongue:

DANG! And here I thought I’d found the polio vaccine :rofl::man_facepalming:t3::man_shrugging:t2:

So did i, when i fixed it here :stuck_out_tongue: (Dissable fillament sensor) Same thing did not help others… Freaking wierd! There cards arent stable i think… lol

Intermediate summary:

Threads about this or related issues:

Boards:

• BTT SKR E3 is by far leading the field
  • BTT SKR 2 two reports
  • BTT SKR 1.3 one report
  • Fysetc S6 one report

Solutions mentioned in the threads:

• Correct / improve wonky wiring
  • Exchange stepper
  • Exchange driver
  • Remove / correct possibly faulty hardware (endstop, filament sensor)
  • Improve EMI / ESD resistance by adding / improving electrical grounding

Summary:

• It is fair to assume that these errors indeed point to some hardware issue
  • BTT SKR E3 seems especially prone to it. Weak hardware design?
  • Not a Klipper bug as partially indicated → Newer versions of Klipper just error out on such occurences, which is the right thing as otherwise consecutive faults that are pretty much untraceable can occur
1 Like

I had this issue too since one or two month ago. My card is Fysetc Spider v2.2. It’s so frustrated to have this kind of issue. I switched wire/driver/motor but no luck. Thanks for you guys in this thread, I think I finally understand! the ESD theory very well match my case, during the print the frame vibrates and constantly causes friction against the rack. I grounded the frame and stepper motor. No problem so far (2 hours printing currently), hope it can fully save my printer.

Saying too early… failed again. Did not help. I wired the frame and the stepper to common ground

So, 5 months later, new round of stepper reset errors! Bahh

After fighting with it for several days now, i figured it out.

It would as usual throw random stepper reset errors, and in between it would fail the bltouch also… (well that was new… )

Did change Y stepper, and X stepper. Crimped some new connectors, flashed mcu again, re-installed the Pi from bottom up, with brand new SD card +++

Then i was like only throwing bltouch errors. At this point i couldn’t really get prints starting anymore, so obviously no more stepper errors of course. Tho i think they still would be there.

After a lot of bltouch testing in software and new connectors, i concluded with cabel error, and changed it.
Full lenght.

V O I L A!

Bltouch working again, and no more stepper errors.
Still at my first big test peint now, but is beyond where it failed like 6 times before, so looking very good!

So i guess the glitch in the cable threw random signals to the board witch ended in random errors all over the place.

It was always in the same area of the bed/point in print it would fail, and very precise to each other, so kinda didn’t think it was a mechanical issue, but more of a software/firmware issue. But nope.